must never be visible on the body or through
uniform clothing and MUST be able to be
covered. Only tattoos that can be reasonably
covered up are permitted. Plasters and
bandages must not be used.
profile image
essex_luke
Hi Guys

I recently booked on to my assessment day and although I knew that BA didn't allow tattoos I thought that mine could be covered with a long sleeved shirt.

When I received my AD instructions I found the part regarding tattoos and realised this wasn't possible as they have short sleeved uniform. I sent an email to the recruitment team advising them of what I had found and that I thought I may have to drop out. I received a phone call from a really helpful lady (I didn't catch her name) but she explained that if I was able to cover my small tattoos (on my wrists) with good makeup they would still consider me.

If anyone is having a similar problem I would check before you write yourself off, if they see it you will be asked to leave, she made that very clear to me.

The plan would be to use the makeup to show that I can cover them, then if I'm lucky enough to be offered a job they will be lasered off.

I'm really hoping that all goes well on the 5th Dec and I will be working with some of you soon.

x
profile image
user16937
Originally posted by @BAstewardess
Hi Kirsty
You will be sent home immediately. I think my post is quite clear. It is not a case of "if I got the job". We do not accept tattoos outside the blue area regardless if you are going to wear long sleeve shirts or not. Have it removed completely before you apply for an assessment please. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money.

Hi
You say here that its wasting time and money, but its also wasting time, money and pain if not successful so its a chicken and egg situation.. If for the interview they are covered, say with watch or jewellery even cover makeup (assuming it can, not expert as a man lol ) then once its found to be successful then it can be considered. I fly with 2 tattoo's and its not a prob even though technically my back tattoo can be seen through BA's very thin shirts and is only ok I guess as I wear jacket/waistcoat/jumper.

So give the poster her due, its a valid question in my view as someone who works there.
profile image
Hails2411
Tattoos has always been a hot topic. I've written a whole post about it on my blog that I think you'll find interesting! http://lifeasabutterfly.com/british-airways-cabin-crew-and-tattoos-they-do-not-mix/
profile image
honur
To be honest, it states on the website that if they are reasonably covered and are not visible through uniform, its fine. For example, those who wear long shirts, if you have a small tattoo on your elbow or below (for example), and its not visible through uniform, i dont think there will be a problem. i know so many BA crew who have tattoos and they wear long sleeve shirts etc so yeah... the negativity around tattoos is quite bad at this day and age.
profile image
honur
I love what you say there... and i agree with you. if you have a few small tattoos here and there and your uniform covers it well (be it with long sleeve shirts or waistcoat) should be completely fine!
profile image
CarrieRose97
I went for an AD, they saw my wrist tattoo which is a bird of about 4cm long on my wrist.. didn't get sent away was told to cover it up. I was getting laser removal on it anyway.. Suppose it depends on the tatt and its whereabouts? I wouldnt worry too much
profile image
user16937
BA have recently relaxed the policy on Tattoos, they obviously can't be as strict and as choosey with applicants as they used to be, especially now word has got out how appalling the pay and working condition are at Mixed Fleet. You've only got to look in the media this week to see that.

When Mixed fleet first started any tattoo would not be allowed. This just shows that standard have dropped.

Good luck though to anyone who's applied, It's a great job, but sadly now only one for a year or so until you completely burn out with exhaustion and debt.
profile image
user16937
Im writing this post because when i first joined the company there was not enough information out there about tattoos and i contemplated not turning up to my first days training!

I have two large tattoos on both my feet, as you can imagine these are deemed a big no no. However i refused to let a stupid tattoo put me off doing this job and i just didnt tell anyone, didnt show anyone and i covered them up with stage make up. I got through the whole training course (including the wet drill) and have been flying with BA for over a year now. Lots of crew have tattoos and cover them. A lot of people tried to put me off even starting saying i wouldnt get very far without getting caught and i am so glad i didnt listen to them.

As long as you are sensible and cover them up when they need to be covered you will be fine!!!

HAPPY FLYNG

IMO xx
profile image
sjenkins
Hello everyone I have two large tattoos on my wrists but long sleeve shirts will cover them will I have to take my shirt off for the assessment day?
I also have a large one on my thigh but I can cover that one with make up because of the new rules I'm assuming it's fine ?

Other discussions going on within British Airways

Uniform
69  113.94k 8 months ago
69 113.94k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
British Airways - Training Dat... I received confirmation on 17th February that I ha...
0  1.38k -
0 1.38k -
General Info and questions abo...
3.12k  1k 4 years ago
3.12k 1k 4 years ago by Flying_Nurse
Accomodation, Specific to BA
1.35k  388.68k 2 years ago
1.35k 388.68k 2 years ago by Dolly1988
Assessments, interviews & star...
11.31k  2k 2 years ago
11.31k 2k 2 years ago by DavyP1972

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

Middle East Airlines Forum Emirates, Gulf, Etihad, Qatar.......
718  4k 1 month ago
718 4k 1 month ago by anniesteuber
Qantas UK Forum For those working at Qantas UK
31  372.67k 1 year ago
31 372.67k 1 year ago by Charles Carter
Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
266  595.28k 9 months ago
266 595.28k 9 months ago by KL17
Regional Airline Operators For those who are operating regional services
10  67.48k 4 years ago
10 67.48k 4 years ago by user16937
Virgin Atlantic Specific to Virgin Atlantic!
162  634.44k 1 year ago
162 634.44k 1 year ago by Lisa Harle