profile image
steve zodiac
How to survive an assessment day!!!!
profile image
steve zodiac
Hi misszippy,

You have the right attitude so you will enjoy the day which I feel is a key element.

Have you worked for an airline before? If not, will this be your first assessment day?

It's good to have some nerves on the day but try and relax once it all starts.

Sending you best wishes and good luck + let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
A
profile image
user16937
Hi Steve,

I found the day very enjoyable! Of course it was nerve wracking too but it helped that we were all in the same boat and the assessors were so friendly. At the beginning, I found it helped to chat to others- just general ice breaker questions like "how was your journey?" etc.
profile image
Tofly
Hi Steve I have an ad coming up in the next couple of weeks thought your post was really useful I have a few questions what sort of questions will be on the maths test I have swotted up currency conversions ?!. Also with thomson only recruiting seasonal workers does this mean there isn't a chance for anything more permenant after this period looking for perment work really hope you can help thanks :)
profile image
babylamb05
Hi Steve thank you so much for this invaluable post.
This is my first time here on this site today which i found after trying to look some information on the AD's. I decided to join after receiving my very first invitation to join Thompson for an AD at Manchester next month. It come as quite a shock as it was also my very first application for cabin crew, something I've been mulling over the last 10 years of my working life.
I'm nervous about what to expect but I'm definitely more excited tto be part of this experience. Your post has answered a lot of my initial quires but looking like I really do have a hell of a lot of swotting up to do. eek!

Lucy
profile image
steve zodiac
Hi Tofly,

I'm glad if you found it useful.

I won't go in to specifics re:- the maths test but if you practice adding, subtracting, multiplications and divisions plus working out currency conversions you won't go far wrong.

Part of the test (at least it was last year), seemed to test ones ability to work under time constraints and accuracy. We gleaned the answers from a small 'pamphlet' which we were given.

If I was pressed for one bit of advice here, it would be to remain calm throughout the maths test and read the questions carefully and try and double check your answer if you can.

And:-

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CALCULATOR WITH YOU!!!!

I'm an old geezer so I have a dedicated calculator and I think it's good to take one with you in case you forget to fully charge your phone. And why leave anything to chance if the cabin crew career is so important to you.

As for contracts, this will be for the team to answer. Suffice to say that our contracts were fixed term 'til the 31st October. They may be different this year but all will answered on your Assessment Day to be sure!

SO, good luck, practice your sums, be prepared, fresh and alert and keep calm.

Kind regards
A
profile image
misszippy
Hi Steve

Thanks again for all your fantastic Advice.

This will actually be my first job interview of any kind for a very long time as I have been with my current employer for the past 13 years so your advice is ever so helpful.

when I was 19 years old I attended a couple of AD's for Airlines and was very fortunate to be offered a position as Cabin Crew with one of them.
I trained for 6 weeks and enjoyed every minute, but I didn't feel mature enough at that time for the huge amount of responsibility involved in the job. I had no idea quite how much there was to it and so I made the decision to leave and come back when I had gained some valuable life experience.

I am older and wiser now and more than mentally and emotionally ready for the challenges that come with being a member of cabin crew.

I truly believe that we can all reach our goals in life and achieve anything if we have patience and determination
profile image
steve zodiac
Hi Lucy,

Enjoy the day and best wishes and good luck.

Don't get too nervous, just make sure you give it your best shot!

A
profile image
steve zodiac
Hi misszippy,

As you say, you now have life experiences aplenty so give it your best shot and keep your fingers crossed that you succeed.

I definitely share your sentiments from your final sentence.

Let us all know how you get on.

A
profile image
Tofly
Thanks so much for your advice Steve fingers crossed I've got one more question about the seasonal contract will you get offered another seasonal contract for next year and have just a rejoiners course seems abit pointless if they are going to train you And let you go for good after 6months ? X
profile image
steve zodiac
Hi Tofly,

I understand and respect that you want to get a 'heads up' for your maths test, but I will not be drawn in to giving any more information than I already have. It is a test and if you are proficient with your currency conversions and basic maths plus accuracy in reading the questions you will do fine.

It's really not for me to say but in my experience your contract will be until 31st October 2014 so that is what you should be planning for. Most initial cabin crew jobs are for a fixed term.

If you do well in your first season then hopefully you will be invited back the following season. And you will have have got that all important 'foot in the door'.

So, good luck with your assessment day Tofly and please come on here and let us know how you get on!

Kind regards
A

Other discussions going on within Thomson Airways

TUI Recruitment open
1  2.09k 4 years ago
1 2.09k 4 years ago by A54Y
Man AD
1  2.04k 5 years ago
1 2.04k 5 years ago by Becky_1234
Video Interview
7  3k 1 year ago
7 3k 1 year ago by Harry Williams
MAN - 4th March 2019 - Whatsap...
0  1.66k -
0 1.66k -
TUI Talent Pool - Summer 2022
200  25.29k 1 year ago
200 25.29k 1 year ago by Di Moore

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

British Airways Specific to British Airways
40  6k 8 months ago
40 6k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
Middle East Airlines Forum Emirates, Gulf, Etihad, Qatar.......
718  4k 1 month ago
718 4k 1 month ago by anniesteuber
FLYBE News and Views from those at Flybe
27  193.68k 2 years ago
27 193.68k 2 years ago by juankax
Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
266  594.82k 8 months ago
266 594.82k 8 months ago by KL17
Jet2 All posts relating to Jet2
64  248.52k 10 months ago
64 248.52k 10 months ago by Andrew E. Briscoe