- Bristol accommodation
- Training course in Portugal - April 29th

Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin

Author
  Topic Started By:  natters118    On:  Tue 29th December, 2015 at 17:32
natters118
United Kingdom
#2  Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 29/12/2015 at 17:32
Hi everyone, I hope you've all had a lovely Christmas?

I just wanted to ask, I am going to apply for British Airways again next year (I need to get rid of a tattoo first) and I know there is a medical - Emirates for example, like that famous report, rejected a lady who suffered depression in the past.

Earlier this year around March I went in to a deep depression/anxiety episode and ended up going to my doctor for support, and was put on anti-depressants. Back then I didn't even think I'd become so passionate about becoming cabin crew - I just needed help ASAP to get my life and mind back on track.

Will British Airways be the same? Virgin is another one I have my heart set on. What are they like? Will either company be a little more compassionate than Emirates? I can obviously understand fully why they need to know this stuff, but everyone is different and some of it can be circumstantial depression. I just don't want to dedicate this whole year in putting my life on pause and waiting for them to start recruiting again, getting the tattoo removed etc all to just be turned away because I had a little bit of depression once.

Please give me some advice as to what they say about past history of depression/anxiety or any medication. I am fine now, and it's in the past and would hate to see my dream job go down the drain all because I am a human being!

Happy New Year to all!
Natters
         Jump to Top
Quastie1
#3  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 29/12/2015 at 21:11
In reply to post #2...
If they even ask what medication you are on, I would just tell them, and state it is for anxiety. Don't use the word depression. I am certain you are not the only one
         Jump to Top
user69521
#4  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 02/01/2016 at 00:40
In reply to post #2...
As ex BA crew who was on anti depressant for yrs I know for fact that if they sacked every crew member on AD they would not have an airline so am sure it will be fine, just be honest.
         Jump to Top
fly_manzanita
United Kingdom
#5  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 05/01/2016 at 14:20
In reply to post #2...

Originally posted by natters118

Hi everyone, I hope you've all had a lovely Christmas?

I just wanted to ask, I am going to apply for British Airways again next year (I need to get rid of a tattoo first) and I know there is a medical - Emirates for example, like that famous report, rejected a lady who suffered depression in the past.

Earlier this year around March I went in to a deep depression/anxiety episode and ended up going to my doctor for support, and was put on anti-depressants. Back then I didn't even think I'd become so passionate about becoming cabin crew - I just needed help ASAP to get my life and mind back on track.

Will British Airways be the same? Virgin is another one I have my heart set on. What are they like? Will either company be a little more compassionate than Emirates? I can obviously understand fully why they need to know this stuff, but everyone is different and some of it can be circumstantial depression. I just don't want to dedicate this whole year in putting my life on pause and waiting for them to start recruiting again, getting the tattoo removed etc all to just be turned away because I had a little bit of depression once.

Please give me some advice as to what they say about past history of depression/anxiety or any medication. I am fine now, and it's in the past and would hate to see my dream job go down the drain all because I am a human being!

Happy New Year to all!

Like the above poster said, if Virgin also bored out everyone with a history of anxiety, there's be very few left! Virgin are sympathetic IME, and I'd definitely be candid about your history with them so you can receive any input you might need. As you say, depression can be circumstantial and transient so why create a buffer issue from it?

However, long haul flying can exacerbate or bring out depression type symptoms because of the havoc it wreaks on your body, so look out for yourself.

I also think in the UK, it's not legal to refuse somebody a job because of a history of depression unless you can really show it would mean that person would be utterly incapable of functioning in the job.

Definitely put your applications in and good luck!
Home to roost since February '17. Happy to answer any cabin crew questions still - just PM!

Virgin Atlantic Crew 2012 :D
B747, A340, A330 and B787!

TCX Seasonal Crew GLA 2010, LGW 2011
B757, A320 and A321
         Jump to Top
gf0994
#6  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 18/02/2016 at 21:51
Hi there, I'm in the same position as you, I was refused by etihad and Emirates even after my final interview because I had a brief spell of depression in 2013, I am completely fine now. However, I wonder if BA or Virgin would do the same, and wonder wether or not to even apply to them. Can you tell me how you got on with your application?
         Jump to Top
natters118
United Kingdom
#7  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 05/03/2016 at 05:05
In reply to post #6...
Hi there, for some reason i never even received notification of replies to my post! Strange one.

I applied to Norwegian and am due to start my training on 13th April but during this wait I have to arrange a medical and US visa - this is the part that scares the hell out of me because they will find out about my past :( I'm really scared my dreams will go down the drain. I also had issues with addiction for a brief period of time and went to the docs for help. I will keep you posted.
Natters
         Jump to Top
Loveandcats
#9  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 10/03/2016 at 01:14
In reply to post #7...
Hi Natters,

Could you please let us know the outcome of the medical?
Thanks,
S
         Jump to Top
natters118
United Kingdom
#10  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 10/03/2016 at 14:01
In reply to post #9...
I will do, I'm still trying to save money to book the medical and get the visa sorted! Finding this all quite tough especially when you're on the breadline! Lets hope I won't get turned away because of my past troubles. Will keep you posted.
Natters
         Jump to Top
user105544
#11  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 01/04/2021 at 10:42
Does anyone know if you can fail a medical if you had mild depression in your past ?
         Jump to Top
b737
#12  Re: Depression/Anxiety Medical - BA & Virgin  Posted 01/04/2021 at 14:33
In reply to post #11...
Yes, you can pass it with no issues, I had it myself.
         Jump to Top