- EasyJet Training 27th January
- Assessment Day Glasgow

Work schedule?

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  alliecfc    On:  Sun 29th June, 2008 at 11:51
alliecfc
#1  Work schedule?  Posted 29/06/2008 at 11:51
Can anyone give me an idea of what a typical month is like (days on/off, rest period, ect) I'm thinking of applying to Qantas but live outside the UK so want to know if it is doable.
         Jump to Top
there&back
United Kingdom
#2  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 30/06/2008 at 19:50

Hi

we have lots and lots of commuters I commute from within UK we also have lots from overseas - Paris/Madrid/Belgium/Italy/Germany/Poland/Helsinki to name but a few .

Our rostas work over 7 weeks you will get roughly one a week unless u want more - we have an amazing crewing dept  and are very flexible you can do back to backs if you want to get more time off and cut down on commuting time.

We get trip 4 days then 3 days off then trip 4days 3 days off etc. Not always works out but as long as we have 18 days off in a rosta this works out well.

WE have "A" days can turn into a trip a day off or a standby.

You have to be able to get to LHR within 90 mins of call . If you commute you will have to stay within LHR area to do this.

Hope that helps.

T&B

Boomerangs DO come back !!!!!
         Jump to Top
number36
#3  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 01/07/2008 at 00:53

Quick question!

If you work on 4/3 rotation, do you always work same weekdays? For instance if you do a four day BKK on Monday, you would be back on Thursday and have the weekend including Friday off. Then, report for another four day trip on Monday. Is this how it works?
LHR WW!
         Jump to Top
there&back
United Kingdom
#4  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 02/07/2008 at 10:42
yes thats correct - but often as I said you can change your rosta - or you might get 4-5 x days ( days off ) then rosta will change.
Boomerangs DO come back !!!!!
         Jump to Top
PBOBOY75
Groupie
United Kingdom
#5  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 06/07/2008 at 22:14

So if people commute from other cities in Europe, how does stand by work? Would they have to in the UK the night before?

Jump to Top
QFKangaroo
#6  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 07/07/2008 at 09:13
Standbys:
9am-9pm. I commute and drive to within an hour and a half of the base by 9am. Although the standby is long, with only three departures a day - you will learn to know when your 'safe'. For example I will drive to within 90mins for 9am but when 12.25 comes (afternoon schedulled time of depatrure) you know your safe and have the day do whatever. But to be honest if your not called by 10.55 (report time, your safe)

Once the afternoon flight goes you know your safe until 7pm for the two night flights.

Crewing will give you more notice than an hour and a half though unless its urgent!

Commuters would have to stop the night before if with a sby.

As there&back stated earlier, our crewing departement are pretty special, in just over seven months of flying, I have dont two standbys - thats by grouping up my A days and picking up trips. I tend to work more than others but can guarantee no SBYs

Roo xx
Edited 07/07/2008 @ 09:18 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
nick1975
United Kingdom
#7  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 07/07/2008 at 20:35
I have an assessment day on July 31st and live in Devon..
I too, was wondering about the commute and standby's..

By the sounds of it you get quite a bit of time off?? I have heard many things about Qantas pay not being brilliant but I do like to make my own mind up on this and also weigh up the other benefits from the welcome aboard day..

The trouble is if you drive up and stay somewhere for a standby and you aren't called that's money wasted (unless it's free) and also a day gone..

Just wonder how often people are called out on standby's and surely the people  in foreign countries commuting can't do that for standby's??? Any help appreciated.
         Jump to Top
PBOBOY75
Groupie
United Kingdom
#8  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 07/07/2008 at 21:15
Same here being from Peterborough! which is about 1.30 from Heathrow on a good run. So would have to drive somewhere close. Have family in Wokingham so that could be a option. Although agreeing with you about the time wasted and the money factor, especially when the airport hotels are not cheap. Its good to know that you get more than the deadline for stand by.
         Jump to Top
RobGermany
Germany
#9  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 15/07/2008 at 19:43
Hi !

Very nice your explaining sby''s.  I live in Germany and would prefer not to have sby's. As I understood, I shall need to group up A days and do trips to guarantee that, right?
So it's possible to commute from an European city without struggling too much?
In order to do that, should one contact crewing form day one or how do I go about it, please!?
Many thx!Wink

Jump to Top
bran_man
Groupie
#10  Re: Work schedule?  Posted 15/07/2008 at 22:15
Rob Germany...

I do not live in the uk and commute, no problem what so ever. The only tricky part is the reserve roster, but you will sort that out, when it comes.

Many commuters max out thier roster flying maximum of hours, which is about four flights a month. I do not do that, but flying only three times a month leaving me some A days. So far, I have only had one stand by. All other A days got cleared. If I would get a stand by, I would fly over for that day.

Many commuters also tend to do back to backs meaning they are flying one trip directly after the other without any days off in between. This leaves them with quite a nice block of days off afterwards. Also it saves them money as they do not need come to work that often.

As it has been said before, the crewing department is extremely flexible. You can always phone up and ask for trips or move your trips, off-days and A-days. They are so helpful and friendly.

If you have any more questions regarding commuting and flying for Qantas as a commuter, please just pm me. Du kannst auch gern auf Deutsch schreiben, wenn es dir lieber ist!

bran_man

"Paris, first class, international, Donna say it!"
         Jump to Top
Next >