- Documents for the Etihad AD.

The Best Suitcase ???

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  tahoku    On:  Mon 17th March, 2008 at 19:27
tahoku
United Kingdom
#1  The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 17/03/2008 at 19:27

A question to all of you experienced crew...

Is there a make of Suitcase that's considered the best for withstanding the trauma's of weekly flights? 

At the moment I'm thinking Carlton, Delsey or Samsonite but which is best ?

I start with BA in May & my current workmates want to buy me the case as a leaving present... Ummm at least thats what they're telling me, or maybe they just want to send me packing! Confused
         Jump to Top
LTN330
Australia
#2  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 17/03/2008 at 19:36
It's a good idea to have a look at a variety of suitcases and actually feel them.  You need to have a practice at dragging them so you can determine if the grip handle works for you and if it is comfortable to walk with without hitting the back of your ankles.

Personally, I go for a cheap brand called 'Carlton' (as you mentioned).  They cost around £60 and will last me around two years.  I find with all brands, the wheels wear down and after a couple of mishaps I've stopped buying the expensive brands because there is not that much difference in quality.

I find the dead suitcases come in handy for storage.
         Jump to Top
Tflyme
United Kingdom
#3  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 17/03/2008 at 21:01
Samsonite or Delsey are the toughest... preferably one with a hard shell. People who use the cheaper ones often have to replace them several times whilst other people still have their trusty Samsonite.

They are expensive, but will last and last. If you're working from a base with lots of longhaul, you will need a tough case (have you ever seen baggage handlers load suitcases onto a plane? Or seen a suitcase fly off a baggage trolley in the middle of the tarmac?). Some trips will mean your suitcase is going through 4 or 5 airports, so you really need a tough case.

An initially expensive suitcase will outlive 5 or 6 or more cheaper cases, so it is worth spending a lot on a good one.
Thomson Airways - World's Largest Charter Airline
         Jump to Top
iain8867
#4  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 17/03/2008 at 22:08
I've had a Roncato and a Carlton both lasted about 9/12 months.  My Delsey has lasted me a lot longer, plus mine has a TSA lock built into it so I can leave it locked going into and out of the US!
         Jump to Top
fly4fun
United States
#5  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 18/03/2008 at 16:11

There are several aspects to keep in mind.

Do you have to check your luggage?? We get to take our luggage onto the aircraft so I don't need to worry about the luggage handlers dropping it. Of course, that means you are limited as to size. What will fit in the overhead or closet?

Are you tall?? I'm about 5"9' (177cm). Many of the cheaper suitcases have handles that are just too short for me and I would have to walk bent or I would keep running into my own heel.

How long are your trips/ or how big are your shopping spees?

Soft cases can be a little bit more forgiving if you need to cram stuff. Of course, a strong zipper is a must on that. There are options of expanding suitcases.

Well, I started out (18yrs ago) with the company issued pull (on a leash!!!) suitcase. Boy, it was a pain, because you had no place to put your flight bag and the thing would tend to fall over. I replaced it with a hard cover upright samsonite which we checked back then and it held up pretty well. When the handle finally broke I bought a Briggs & Riley upright (soft). It has a second zipper which will add an extra 2 1/2 inches in depth if needed (so convenient for my shopping sprees!!!). It has a tall handle which is great for me. Briggs & Riley has a lifetime warranty on their products which I needed to use once for the handle. They sent it right to my house!! I bought a second one while the first was being repaired (I travel with kids, so I could use a second one anyway). I really like their products. I also own one of their tote bags that I use as my flight bag and a rolling tote that I use for what we call "turn arounds" (one day trips).

I hope this helps. I would suggest going in and trying them all out. Walk around the store, take tight turns, walk fast, as your stride becomes longer you'll see if the handle is long enough for you.

Good luck and welcome to the world of aviation!

fly4fun
         Jump to Top
tahoku
United Kingdom
#6  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 19/03/2008 at 11:56
Thank you all for your advice, that gives me plenty of things to consider. These cases aren't cheap are they lol Wacko
         Jump to Top
anthwnts2bcrew
United Kingdom
#7  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 22/03/2008 at 17:27
i find "tripp" from debenhams are a good suitcase to use..i have one for both short and long haul and they seem reeli good to me..theyre a very trustworthy case to use...make sure you get a hard back case for longhaul tho
Im Mona from British airways, Im mona F*ck off!!
         Jump to Top
seafront
Groupie
United Kingdom
#8  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 23/03/2008 at 12:28
i had a delsey that is still like new, cus i look after it, had it since 1999!!
also have a samsonite that i bought 4 years ago and never had any problems.... you pay more but you have 10 years warranty.

there is a shop in crawley that gives you 15% off if you show ur ID!!!

the options are endles..... getting it from the states is usualy cheaper too!
The World's Favorite !
         Jump to Top
cargoattendant
United Kingdom
#9  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 19/06/2010 at 07:10
try Cabin Crew Store Aus
         Jump to Top
PhilJones
#10  Re: The Best Suitcase ???  Posted 01/02/2012 at 15:01
In reply to post #9...
For about the last 2 years i have been using the Samsonite aeris spinner is has obviously been worn down a bit, but it still looks nice and can be easily pushed around the airport, suitcase reviews have reviewed it if you think its worth checking out. . . . .
Phil
         Jump to Top
Next >