- Assessments, interviews & start dates

Tax rebate for uniform maintenence

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  josh8    On:  Wed 12th October, 2011 at 18:48
josh8
United Kingdom
#1  Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 18:48
Just been reading on money saving expert that you can claim a tax rebate if your employer requires you to wash your own uniform, I'd never even heard of this until today, and wondered if anyone is already claiming?

Granted, the standard amount isn't huge, (every penny counts though right?!) but you can claim for up to the last 6 years, and if you can prove your costs, you can claim more.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money#uniform

(sorry for the typo in the title, which it seems I cannot correct now, doh!)
Edited 12/10/2011 @ 18:51 Revision #2
         Jump to Top
brighton_rocks
#2  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 19:29
In reply to post #1...
Yeah you can, I rung hmrc and got £450 added to my personal allowance for dry cleaning - even better - backdated!
British Airways Moderator

To Fly. To Serve - My postings on this site are entirely my own, are here to help others and do not represent my employers positions, strategies or opinions.
         Jump to Top
malteaser
United Kingdom
#3  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 21:15
In reply to post #1...
Wow thanks so much for posting this on here, after reading it as I have not claimed before, I'm guessing I write to them?! Have you managed to do this? How long does it take for them to let you know about the rebate?
         Jump to Top
monstermunch
#4  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenence  Posted 12/10/2011 at 21:32
how much does it cost to get uniform dry cleaned and how often do you need to do this??
         Jump to Top
cbs82
#5  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 21:50
In reply to post #3...

Originally posted by malteaser

Wow thanks so much for posting this on here, after reading it as I have not claimed before, I'm guessing I write to them?! Have you managed to do this? How long does it take for them to let you know about the rebate?

I rang HMRC, after a few mins on hold they changed my tax code straight away and said I would get £420 allowance
         Jump to Top
bagsy2ndbreak
United Kingdom
#6  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenence  Posted 12/10/2011 at 21:55
In reply to post #4...
Your gilet (in flight waistcoat) is cleaned free by the company but the jacket and trousers are down to you to clean.

There is a cleaners in the crew report centre which is competitively priced for cleaning 'a suit'.

Jacket would not need cleaning as often as your trousers - it all depends on how mucky you are!
         Jump to Top
malteaser
United Kingdom
#7  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 22:01
In reply to post #5...

Originally posted by cbs82

I rang HMRC, after a few mins on hold they changed my tax code straight away and said I would get £420 allowance

Great news, I'll fone ASAP! I am being an air head but could u explain about the change of tax code eg we would be taxed less? And the £420 allowance- what is that? Is it a cash rebate?
Thanks for ur help
         Jump to Top
cbs82
#8  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 22:07
In reply to post #7...

Great news, I'll fone ASAP! I am being an air head but could u explain about the change of tax code eg we would be taxed less? And the £420 allowance- what is that? Is it a cash rebate?
Thanks for ur help

Each year you get a personal tax allowance....for me the first £7475 (tax code is 747L on your pay slip) of your salary is not taxed. The extra £420 is added to this so you don't pay tax on £7895 (789L). If you have not claimed the extra allowance in previous years you can claim a rebate on the tax you have paid. My housemate has just had a rebate after claiming for the last 3 years for dry cleaning and got a £330 cheque rebate.
         Jump to Top
malteaser
United Kingdom
#9  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 22:13
In reply to post #8...
Right I think i understand thank you!! My allowence will be added on for this Tax year, but my previous 3yrs I have been flying for I can get a rebate for?!
         Jump to Top
cbs82
#10  Re: Tax rebate for uniform maintenance  Posted 12/10/2011 at 22:16
In reply to post #9...

Right I think i understand thank you!! My allowence will be added on for this Tax year, but my previous 3yrs I have been flying for I can get a rebate for?!

Yes you can claim a rebate if you have had to wear a uniform- with a logo that your company supplied and you had to pay to clean it. To get a rebate you have to write into HMRC making that clear in the letter.
Edited 12/10/2011 @ 22:18 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
Next >