profile image
Bannersb22
Tattoos
profile image
Little minx

You could do that but at the start of the interview process they have to sign a declaration that they have not concealed any, I believe.
profile image
Natalie23
Hiya,

I'm hopeing someone can help shed some light regarding the tattoo policy at BA...I applied back in Jan and I'm 99.9% sure when the application form asked about tattoo's it didn't state that plasters/make-up weren't an acceptable way to cover them up.
I have a very small tattoo on my foot which I declared in my application but when I attended my AD last week they sent me home straight away as they said it is visible.
The lady said their policy had recenetly changed regarding tattoo's and that they'd updated their application form. When I asked her when this change happened she said end of jan/feb time and when I applied they were in the transition of changing it. So this means I must have applied before they changed it on the application form, however I have never been advised otherwise, so as you can imagine I was very upset and angry when I travelled all the way up to london to find that they couldn't progress with my application.
I've now seen on here that some people recieved an email about this change in policy before they attended their AD, but I never recieved this even though I had put on my application form that I had one. They even called me to confirm I was still attending the AD, so they could have even mentioned it then!
If the application had said plasters/make-up weren't an acceptable way to cover them up I wouldn't have applied as this would mean mine would be visible, or if they had let me know that the policy had changed since I had applied I could have looked into getting it removed before my AD :(

Hope someone that applied around the same time as me can give me some advice :)

Thanks
Natalie
x
profile image
Little minx
They have never been acceptable if they are visible.

Previously people went all the way through the process and got a yes but then had to send in a photo of the tattoo, they then often got a rejection at that stage.

They changed it to looking during the initial interview as doing it after you got a yes was rather cruel.
profile image
LittleEmma
Originally posted by @Emilianna
I also have a tattoo question please - I was just wondering what the uniform is for women on BA as I have a tattoo just above my ankle about an inch in length. With trousers it will be covered, but can be seen with tights and a skirt. Shall I still send a photo to recruitment? Many thanks for your help

I think Little Minx is right that you have to sign a form saying you haven't concealed any tattoos that would be visible in the uniform. BA MF is definitely a no-trouser airline so you'd have to get the tramp stamp removed if you got the job. But surely it wouldn't hurt to use the concealer, go to the AD, and if you get the job, then have it professionally removed.
profile image
Flyer1984
Hey all, tattoos that are visible are a complete NO! Even if you attend the AD day with it slightly removed or concealed they WILL send you home. I saw it happen to 2 girls at my AD. 1 girl had started the process of getting it removed but they said it needs to be completely removed before they would even consider her for a job. It sounds harsh as they do not state this on the website but nevertheless it happens! Hope you can get it removed before. Xx
profile image
SpeedBird<3
Hello,
I hope someone can give me a little advice on my dilemma. I have my AD mid June and I'm currently having my wrist tattoo removed. My tattoo is almost gone and only need 3 more appointments which I'm having every 3 weeks. I'm worried I'll be sent home on the AD! Is it possible to change my AD date? I've seen on here that some got turned away but some had the opportunity to re book for a later date at there AD. Can anybody shed some light on this situation for me as I really don't know what to do because I'm only getting my tattoo removed to work for BA and the thought of being turned away is really worrying me

Thank you :)
profile image
Aussiemarco
Airlines are hard and strict on tattoos. Period. The reason for this is simple.

As an outsider who has moved to the UK, I can see that tattoos are normal in this country, it seems like everyone, both guys and girls, get at least one. It's almost like a rite of passage into adulthood, like the culture of the Pacific Islanders. Once you reach your late teens, it's off to the tattoo shop.

But I can tell you it's different outside the UK. Tattoos are NOT the norm, and in many, many countries tattoos on girls are not only unheard of but are considered completely outrageous. Many cultures think that tattoos on girls makes the girl look like either a druggie or a hooker, or both. It doesn't matter if its a cute little star on your wrist or a sweet, tiny angel on your ankle. Even tattoos on guys is fairly unusual back home in Australia. It's very rare in most European countries.

Being an intercontinental airline, carrying passengers from every country and culture on Earth, BA (and all other intercontinental airlines) has to be strict on tattoos. The last thing they want is their female cabin crew looking like an army of drug abusers to their passengers who don't understand what is socially normal in Britain. Or their male crew looking like rough hoodlums.

I'm sorry for being blunt and sound un-PC, but I'm posting this to help you all understand why airlines are so tough on this subject. Maybe a young girl who dreams of this job will read this some day and not get that cute little star tattooed onto her wrist.
profile image
Little minx
Originally posted by @SpeedBird<3
Hello,
I hope someone can give me a little advice on my dilemma. I have my AD mid June and I'm currently having my wrist tattoo removed. My tattoo is almost gone and only need 3 more appointments which I'm having every 3 weeks. I'm worried I'll be sent home on the AD! Is it possible to change my AD date? I've seen on here that some got turned away but some had the opportunity to re book for a later date at there AD. Can anybody shed some light on this situation for me as I really don't know what to do because I'm only getting my tattoo removed to work for BA and the thought of being turned away is really worrying me

Thank you :)

Yes, you can phone up and delay your interview. You won't need to say why, just ask if you can have a latter date. There are dates in September.

There are loads of crew with later dates that will be really pleased that your earlier date becomes available and BA won't mind who they see and when.

Just give them a call.
profile image
treetop66
what about if you have tats lasered and it leaves a scar..will they not accept that either

profile image
bagsy2ndbreak
Well said Aussiemarco.

Also there is plenty of talk on this thread and the thread recently closed down that as long as they are never seen in the uniform you will get away with not disclosing it.

Can I just remind you that as part of the SEP training is the wet ditch in a swimming pool. Any tattoos not disclosed could be discovered then. If you're found to have not been truthful, well I'm sure I do not need to go on.....

Other discussions going on within British Airways

Uniform
69  113.94k 8 months ago
69 113.94k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
British Airways - Training Dat... I received confirmation on 17th February that I ha...
0  1.38k -
0 1.38k -
General Info and questions abo...
3.12k  1k 4 years ago
3.12k 1k 4 years ago by Flying_Nurse
Accomodation, Specific to BA
1.35k  388.67k 2 years ago
1.35k 388.67k 2 years ago by Dolly1988
Assessments, interviews & star...
11.31k  2k 2 years ago
11.31k 2k 2 years ago by DavyP1972

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

FLYBE News and Views from those at Flybe
27  193.79k 3 years ago
27 193.79k 3 years ago by juankax
Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
266  595.18k 9 months ago
266 595.18k 9 months ago by KL17
Thomson Airways Thomson Airways including First Choice
93  408.49k 1 year ago
93 408.49k 1 year ago by David_Hume
Middle East Airlines Forum Emirates, Gulf, Etihad, Qatar.......
718  4k 1 month ago
718 4k 1 month ago by anniesteuber
Aer Lingus All posts relating to Aer Lingus
39  427.52k 1 year ago
39 427.52k 1 year ago by Aaron