- MAN assessment day 5th Jan

Swimming assessment Easyjet

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  Ame    On:  Thu 17th November, 2016 at 09:21
Ame
#2  Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 17/11/2016 at 09:21
Hi everyone,

I would hugely appreciate as much help as possible with the following as it is causing me major concern. I have been notified that my application has been successful and that I will be training at Gatwick once I have a start date confirmed. Though thrilled the reality has now set in that I need to complete the swimming assessment. I specifically learned to swim to get the job so therefore new to it and concerned. I have had all of the elements required come through and I really need some guidance on the many questions that are circling in my mind;

1. Fitting the life jacket in water whilst treading indicates that you tread for a minute and then fit and inflate manually. I can just tread for a minute with my arms and legs working flat out, so the thought of doing this and having to fit the lifejacket seems extremely daunting. Any guidance or insight would be hugely appreciated

2. When swimming the length, is backstroke acceptable? I have also heard that they in reality only get you to swim the width and not the length?

3. When towing each other up and down the pool what is the rescue tow and hold required ?

4. When adopting the foetal position is it with or without lifejacket?

5. What pool is used to do the assessment in at Gatwick and is it heated?

My sincere thanks in advance for any insight on the above.

Ame
         Jump to Top
aclifton
United Kingdom
#3  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 17/11/2016 at 11:32
In reply to post #2...
Hi I did this around two years ago so will give you what I can remmeber..
1. We all jumped in from the side with a deflated life jacket and had to pull the toggle while jumping into the water.. We trended water without the jacket.
2. Not sure if back stroke is acceptable but yes it was only the width of the pool
3. I can't actually remmeber the exact technique on this one sorry!
4. As far as I can remember it was with a life jacket
5. We did ours in Luton the pool wasn't heated but it wasn't cold so don't stress lol
I hope this helps, good luck you'll be fine it's a lot of fun
         Jump to Top
Sammycat
#4  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 17/11/2016 at 12:47
In reply to post #3...
I am waiting for my date to come through but I am dreading the wet drill. I can swim but I can't go under water so the thought of jumping in the pool scares me but I am going to go swimming every week from now til my training to conquer this fear.

Strange question but would be interested to hear from anyone who has done the wet drill that wears glasses or lenses and how they found it as my optician says I shouldn't wear my lenses in the water as you can get a nasty infection and without them things will be a bit blurry lol

Also can you swim breast stroke?
         Jump to Top
Charlotte_x
United Kingdom
#5  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 17/11/2016 at 14:19
In reply to post #4...

Originally posted by Sammycat

I am waiting for my date to come through but I am dreading the wet drill. I can swim but I can't go under water so the thought of jumping in the pool scares me but I am going to go swimming every week from now til my training to conquer this fear.

Strange question but would be interested to hear from anyone who has done the wet drill that wears glasses or lenses and how they found it as my optician says I shouldn't wear my lenses in the water as you can get a nasty infection and without them things will be a bit blurry lol

Also can you swim breast stroke?

I'm the same I need glasses or contacts too but me personally I still go swimming with my contacts in as long as you don't go under water and open your eyes (which I doubt you'll be doing lol) it should be ok. So I'm just gonna wear my lenses but obviously it's up to you
         Jump to Top
Sammycat
#6  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 17/11/2016 at 15:04
In reply to post #5...
I might buy a pair of daily disposables and just use them then. Thanks :-)
         Jump to Top
Charlotte_x
United Kingdom
#7  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 17/11/2016 at 17:44
In reply to post #6...
Yeah I use dailies anyway :)
         Jump to Top
Ame
#8  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 17/11/2016 at 23:22
In reply to post #3...
Thanks so much Abbie.
         Jump to Top
Ame
#9  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 19/11/2016 at 16:25
In reply to post #8...
Would hugely appreciate any other replies to the original post so I am armed with as much info as possible. Thanks again in advance
         Jump to Top
filmloverjaxs
#10  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 19/11/2016 at 18:33
In reply to post #2...
Hi

I did this 3 years ago, so I'm not sure how much has changed and I can't remember much, but the following may help:

2. I think backstroke would be acceptable, I swam breaststroke as that is what I am most comfortable with. Remember, it isn't a race and you aren't being timed.

5. I'm not sure which pool EJ use in the Crawley/Gatwick area as I trained in Luton, but possibly Crawley's K2 Leisure Centre public pool? Maybe someone who has completed it recently could help you with that? It will be heated! - All public pools in the UK have to reach certain health and safety standards and the water is usually at least 26 degrees centigrade in a UK public pool.

EJ's trainers are professional, friendly and approachable and want you to succeed. If you let them know your concerns and that you have only recently learnt to swim, they will explain everything thoroughly and do everything they can to put you at ease, so that you feel confident to do your wet drill.

Best of luck!
         Jump to Top
Ame
#11  Re: Swimming assessment Easyjet  Posted 20/11/2016 at 22:53
In reply to post #10...
Thanks so much Jaxs Keep the replies coming folks
         Jump to Top
Next >