- Room To Rent, Woodford Green, East London
- Ek surgery - urgent

Questions and Answers!

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  flyboi88    On:  Mon 16th February, 2009 at 22:44
flyboi88
#1  Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 22:44

Welcome all to the wannabe forum, on this post you will find many common questions and answers with regards to applying for cabin crew jobs, and also about what the job involves etc.

Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:54 Revision #1

Wannabe Forum Moderator / Moderator Group
         Jump to Top
flyboi88
#2  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 22:47
Q: Am I too fat to be cabin crew?

Originally posted by Lyndsey1988

Hi, ive been Cabin Crew for over 16 years now and in my time i've worked with CC that are up to size 16 on most british airlines. As long as you can fit in the crew seats, can work easily up and down the aisles and do not struggle to stretch up to the overhead cabins no airline will object. And another point (although don't quaote me on this!) airlines such as Emirates are alot stricter - or at least they were when i worked for them 6 years ago and every girl had to be under a certain weight, just thought i'd point it out! But their rules and regulations may have changed. But the answer is no it will not matter if you are applying to most airlines BA, Quantas, FlyeBe, Easyjet, Virgin etc etc

Edited 16/02/2009 @ 22:58 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#3  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 22:51

Q: Am I too old to be cabin crew?

Originally posted by Lizz

definately not!

go on and apply and good luck! Thumbs%20Up

Originally posted by Marbella Girl

You will be fine at 28 but sorry to say but there are plenty of age limits with airlines in the Middle East - some are clearly indicated on the airline website, some are unofficial, and I speak from experience being well over your age, and trying to get back into flying!  Gulf Air is 30, Air Arabia is 27 (!), Emirates (who have frozen all recruiting anyway) are 35.  Etihad I believe are open to older crew and I dont know about Qatar.  In any case your age is fine with the majority of them.  Good luck!
Edited 16/02/2009 @ 22:59 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#4  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 22:54
Q: I'm able to swim at least 25 metres but I'm not very confident. Would it be worth having some swimming lessons do you think?

Originally posted by Sam L

Well i wouldnt say lessons, why dont you get yourself down your local pool with someone you trust and understands that your not a confident swimmer, and build it up from there hun?
after all why pay for something if you can do it for freeeee! good luck and let us know how you get on!

Originally posted by flyboi88

You'll have to show you can swim 25 metres without a life jacket thats all. You will probably also have to jump in, swim to a lifr jacket, put it on and tie it around you, and inflate it by blowing through the tube (only takes a few mouth fulls of air thankfully), so it does help if you can kick your legs and kind of hover on the spot for a minute. Everything else is with a lifejacket so thats not too bad x

Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:00 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#5  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 22:56
Q: How hard are the maths and english test at the cabin crew interview? What kind of questions do they ask?

Maths will include adding, dividing, maybe a percentage question. Usually they let you use a calculator (take one with you, and take a spare too, it looks fabulous when someone doesn't have one and you turn round and say no problem I have a spare one!) And some currency conversion, which more info can be found on the currency conversion thread on this forum.

English will cover things like basic spelling and grammar. They may for example give you a paragraph and ask you to rewrite it correctly with spelling grammar and capital letters. But only basic things, so don't panic, you'll be required to have atleast a C at GCSE level in Mathematics and English, and having obtained qualifications at that level will mean its pretty straight forward.

I'd say master your currency conversion and have a good read of the currency conversion forum, as sometimes those questions link up and get one wrong and you get them all wrong after that.

because it is just basic maths like percentages (and no, I know it's not basic if you've not just walked out of a school classroom!) why don't you have a look on things like bbc bitesize? percentages will be on there I'm sure!
Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:00 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#6  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 23:03
Q: How do I convert money into another currency?

Originally posted by bcf&gloves

Here you go this is how you do currency conversions!

Example.....

If you have a exchange rate for the US $ of 2.09, this is how it works.

If you have a total of £50 and the customer wants to pay in $ you have to multiply the this by the exchange rate to get the amount...

£50 x 2.09 = $104.50

If you then want to convert the amount back then you simply divide it by the exchange rate..

$125.00 / 2.09 = £59.80

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by ROBINA

to convert something u times amount by rate

and to change back you take amount and divide by rate
Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:25 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#7  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 23:06
Q: Are airlines strict to work for?

Originally posted by fly_to_moon

Why would strict be bad?

I am sure you are not going to do anything wrong.  I have freinds that work there and love it.  In my interview I thought they were all great.

In my first flying job I always asked the strictest (ex Caledonian) crew to do my assessments as I dont see how you can improve if you are not honestly told what you are doing wrong.

Go for it!
Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:07 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#8  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 23:13
Q: How do I apply for a cabin crew job?

By Visiting the airlines website and looking at their careers sections, by viewing the jobs section on this website or www.aviationjobsearch.com

Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:13 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#9  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 23:23
Q: How much time do you get off the plane on shorthaul? Can I go shopping in the terminal for an hour, or go for a sunbathe on the beach?

Originally posted by airgirl

No, the furthest you'll go is at the bottom of the steps while boarding and disembarking passengers.  And going into the terminal now is a big NO NO!!  99.99% of the time turnaround is 1 hour which involves disembarking, cleaning, tidying seat pockets, security checks, boarding and then your off again...
Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:24 Revision #1

Jump to Top
flyboi88
#10  Re: Questions and Answers!  Posted 16/02/2009 at 23:27
Q: What questions will they ask me in my two to one interview?

Originally posted by stewpot1776

Hey bec,

I can't say what the questions are because that not fair on the others. All i can say if you were fortunate to get to the 2-1 is be yourself and don't panic. Nice questions all basically past experiences and customer service questions. They looking for genuine people and understand the pressure your under lol. Add a little humour if you can always helps........did with me anywho lol.

it's the usual kinda stuff, when have you had to deal with an angry customer, when have you delivered excellent customer service, when have you worked well as part of a team, when have you suggested something to improve at work, why do you want to be crew.
they also asked what I'm doing currently and also how many days sick you had off in the past year.

easy sorta stuff if you have answers, hope this helps Smile x
Edited 16/02/2009 @ 23:37 Revision #1

Jump to Top
Next >