Search
Latest Posts
- MAN 2020 application
- Assessments, interviews & start dates
- Qatar Open Day London
- Experienced Crew Assessment Day
- easyJet staff travel needed
- November 4th start date
- Awaiting Candidate Documents (Qatar Airways)
- 2020 Recruitment
- 2019 Qatar Waiting timeline
- Aer Lingus Online Assessment Help

Mixed Fleet Contract

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  Marie Bond    On:  Tue 8th February, 2011 at 23:54
Jemmam20
Groupie
United Kingdom
#21  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 11/02/2011 at 23:29
[QUOTE=evandrus] I am Mixed Fleet cabin crew and I love it![IMG]http://cabincrew.com/ccnetwork/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />
I don't feel that I am a slave at all and compared to my last job... this is refreshing and pure bliss. Regarding the salary, I knew what I was going to be paid when I applied for the position and to be frank, what I earn or choose to earn is my decision and although some people may feel that we are under paid, over worked etc., these are their feelings... not mine!
BA is a great company to work for and sometimes people don't realise that this is the case...
[/QUOTE] Finally!!!! Some1 has something gd too say so far wat pPl have been saying is mind boggling!! A bit of positivity is needed ppl If ppl want too apply for BA u can't stop them! Most of the time they no wat they r letting themselves in for. My friendS mum has worked for them for 25 n another for 20+ so surely they can't b that bad!! I jst think ppl haven't gt nething better too do :( sad really!! X
NEW CREW FOR BRS SUMMER 2011!!
WOOOOO :D
         Jump to Top
brighton_rocks
#22  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 11/02/2011 at 23:36
Can you not text talk - for oldies like me, It takes a while to work out what you mean
         Jump to Top
Airflyer
United Kingdom
#23  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 12/02/2011 at 00:10
After many years in this, at times volatile industry, there have always been diverse views on many of the different contracts BA have offered. I can remember 'support crew' and everyone desperately wanting to do it. New airline start ups had also faced people saying 'yes jump' or ' no don't do it' - and personally speaking it really is down to the individual. Back 'in the day' there were no  forums just the galley fm lolLOL
I have heaps of flying to offer any airline, but I have chosen to do BA Mixed Fleet. Doesn't matter what age or experience, if you are able to read a contract ( as you would in any role), question if you are unsure, then make a decision that is right for you - then thats what matters.

I am of an age where risk taking is a real risk - however, I ( with no outside influence) feel that this is the direction I want to go with. I have to say, reading some postings, I do understand there may be genuine people throwing out warning signals. Equally, I find it very typical of this industry to have people almost dictating what people should do behind the impression of 'doing a good deed' or 'I have been in the airline or industry long enough so I know best!' Yes we can all advise, but at the end of the day it's what we as individuals choose to do. I'd hate to think I turned down an opportunity because someone put me off and because I thought that they must be right as they work in that company. What is good for one person may not necessarily be the case for others.

I started in the early 80's and the industry has changed considerably, from benefits to service. Customers have changed too and so have their profiles. Candidates for cabin crew have changed and so have their career aims. Oh well, the list goes on.

I've spent lots of years working with many cabin crew, recruited and trained, worked my butt off on charter and flown out in the middle east to then working longhaul in different classed- and loved all of my experiences. Money is important but equally so is job satisfaction.

I went to my AD and even after all my years flying, felt I worked hard during the entire day! I met some great people also with lots of experience.

I am not criticising existing BA crew, you have your views and the current situations are a different subject. However, this post is about the contract at MF - and I think the best advice is to go with what you can afford, what risk you wish to take and above all join knowing that you will enjoy this role.

It's been my career for a longtime ( I am not 103! lol) and by joining MF, I don't see that I am going backwards - just forwards and using my experience. I hope I can share that but also learn new things/ideas (keeps you youngWink)

All to often when we have been flying for years we forget the original reason we chose to do it. We get clouded with the benefits and money ( yes I know these are important !) so my message is, let those starting out enjoy that excitement as we did. We all know that whatever airline, whatever contract there will be ups and downs - thats the nature of our industry.

Good luck to both existing BA crews and to new entrants like myself.

Jump to Top
Resident
#24  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 12/02/2011 at 01:29

Originally posted by Airflyer

Equally, I find it very typical of this industry to have people almost dictating what people should do behind the impression of 'doing a good deed' or 'I have been in the airline or industry long enough so I know best!' Yes we can all advise, but at the end of the day it's what we as individuals choose to do. I'd hate to think I turned down an opportunity because someone put me off and because I thought that they must be right as they work in that company.

Very wise words indeed. Those 'doing a good deed' have their own agenda, and they the good deed may not be directed at you. Read the contract, make your own decision and do whats right for you. Not whats right for a pressure group.
RIP BASSA & CC89. A tawdry sell out to end it all.

My posts represent my views and not those of my employer.
The Burke Group is watching you.
         Jump to Top
brighton_rocks
#25  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 12/02/2011 at 07:52
Airflyer & Resident
         Jump to Top
beckyb
#26  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 12/02/2011 at 13:49
Why dont you haters email the news of the world or something. If they run a story on how crap the contract is and how they are exploiting us things might get better for us haha
         Jump to Top
Josh258
Groupie
#27  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 12/02/2011 at 15:01

Originally posted by Marie Bond

I am glad that some of you are enjoying MF I guess I am shocked that BA would pay this disgraceful salaries when the company is doing quite well and it gives its directors large pay rises and shares bonuses.
I do not know how previous crew were paid but this is worth than any other airlines salaries I have come across.
Josh258 which company did you use to fly with?

Hi Marie Bond, well I've been around the block a bit lol

Thomas Cook - Not bad pay, but very hard work especially in summer. Nice trips if you get rostered them, or they were in my day when you could get a week downroute somewhere if you were lucky. Very little chance of being offered a permanent contract for years & years though...even at the larger bases. You didn't always work the winter as they tended to lay crew off due to a quieter flying schedule so you had to have a back up plan due to the uncertainty.

GB Airways - Pay similar to MF but mostly short haul there & backs & only the occasional nightstop. Only stayed for about 6 months as I wasn't really happy there.

Qantas UK - Nice airline to work for, only 3 routes -  BKK, SIN & HKG. Could be quite tiring as the far east is a long way to go for what was mostly a nightstop. But they were flexible & you always had plently of time off due to the long range flying keeping your hours high. Pay maybe slightly better than MF but not that much in it to be honest.

Of the four airlines I've worked for BA MF is so far the one I am happiest at. I love the mix of long & short haul flying & the bidding system is so far giving me exactly the type of rosters I want. MF pay is approx £17000-20000 pa, I can't really think of any other UK airline who advertises cc jobs for more than £20000, maybe EZY? But certainly none of my previous airlines have.
Edited 12/02/2011 @ 16:53 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
Marie Bond
#28  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 16/02/2011 at 15:00
Josh258 how long have you been on MF?
         Jump to Top
BA4eva
#29  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 16/02/2011 at 15:19
I have not met anyone at MF who is getting anywhere near to £20,000 a year Josh.

Even Gross.

Even £17,000 at the top is dubious.

Lets be logical £11,000 basic salary plus say 2,000 hours of £2.40 which is £4,800 only gets us to £15,800.

Then you have to take your HOST money out of that.

Those figures are not taking into account Income tax and NI etc.

Look there is no point saying figures like that on here is there?

If some one from Virgin reads they can get £20,000 a year on MF and comes they will not be a happy bunny.

Its not fair and these kind of rumours are whay so many MF are leaving.
Edited 16/02/2011 @ 15:33 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
BA4eva
#30  Re: Mixed Fleet Contract  Posted 16/02/2011 at 15:24
If people posted the truth on here at least crew would stay because they new what they were signing up for.

If you arrive at MF and have expectations of getting £20,000 a year then they will think they can run up debts on the training course and perhaps afford to commute, or drive some distance.

Wrong on all counts.

The reality is that you need to come to MF with no debts and a conservative lifestyle, stay in a shared house with a car that is paid for.

Go out downroute but watch what you spend on your Host and then you will be able to stay.
Edited 16/02/2011 @ 15:33 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
< Prev Next >