- Crew with uprank cabin manager responsibilty

Military Flight Attendant

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  fastflyer    On:  Wed 19th September, 2007 at 04:41
fastflyer
Australia
#1  Military Flight Attendant  Posted 19/09/2007 at 04:41
Have anyone here in AUS thought about joining the Royal Australian Air Force as a military Flight Attendant?
The Air Force is about to get new Aircraft, A330 times 5 which will be bassed in South East Queensland just 47km outside of BNE, and the current VIP fleet bassed in Canberra.

The RAAF presents a logical and smart way to become an F/A other then then the more traditional methods ie. the Airlines.

The pay is better and there are numerous other benifits, but then military life is not for everyone.

Both Males and Females can apply.

Let me know what you think

Can also source some more info too if required. 
         Jump to Top
Stargazer1
Australia
#2  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 19/09/2007 at 04:56
I'd look into it... I am desperado. Want to be a F/A so badly. I also just got my first rejection email for an o/s airline so need a few new leads. I feel so alone..poor me Cry !!!
Edited 19/09/2007 @ 04:57 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
soontobevb
Australia
#3  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 19/09/2007 at 08:19
Hey cheer up stargazer... there are days when I feel so horrible about it all... I've been rejected like 4-5times now (lost count) and most times I've made it through to final interviews.. sometimes I feel like giving up.. but I think no, I'm not gonna let these airlines get the better of me.. mind you, I was 18yrs at the time of these interviews, so that could have been a big influencing factor..

I would most definately be interested in the military flight attendant position though~! Has it been advertised anywhere? Got anymore info anyone?
         Jump to Top
smartalec888
Groupie
Australia
#4  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 19/09/2007 at 08:42
It would be better, I mean its not as if your customer service would have to be exceptional, its not as if they have a choice and the a/c would be full of ABP's. 

Could someone link me to the site please?
         Jump to Top
Pilot_Nanny
#5  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 19/09/2007 at 10:23
Thought about it. Sounds ok on the surface but just remember- you are in the RAAF. If you don't like the idea of going to war, don't join up. Read the full brief on the RAAF website. It's very comprehensive. Anyone who thinks it's an 'easy' way into being an FA is kidding themselves. The training described is very intense.

Bear in mind also you will have to take orders- military environments are not the usual 'team' environment in the 'traditional' sense of the word. And military experience doesn't always translate well into airline/civilian life later. Think long and hard if you're the type of person who could live in the military. And of course there is also the 'return of service' required for your training. I highly doubt military FAs are covered by the 'gap year' the ADF is promoting at the moment!! So you could be looking at 3-5 years that you're stuck there if you don't like it.

I really considered doing it, but after much thought, decided it wasn't for me.
~~John Bryson's Handcuffs~~
              ^_^
         Jump to Top
soontobevb
Australia
#6  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 19/09/2007 at 23:40
Hey its www.defencejobs.gov.au

And yes, as PN mentioned, the training seems really tough.. I've got a JOEs day with them coming up, which is where you go there, they check you out, you sit an aptitude test, you get a medical done etc a full day.. and then if you pass all that, and you're suitable for the job, its an interview with a board includind a psychologist... ohhhh Smile lets see how it goes.. I'm waiting for the recruiter to get in contact with me, thats the next stage.

Oh, and the pay is like $57k for 'crew attendants' first year, and it goes up each year of service.
Edited 19/09/2007 @ 23:41 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
Stargazer1
Australia
#7  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 20/09/2007 at 00:37

Good advice PN...let's not let desperation get the better of us :)

Jump to Top
fastflyer
Australia
#8  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 20/09/2007 at 03:17
Quote form smartalec888:

It would be better, I mean its not as if your customer service would have to be exceptional, its not as if they have a choice and the a/c would be full of ABP's. 

Well smartalec the level of customer service required is actually a much higher level compared to civilian airlines as RAAF F/A's are actually employed on the Governments VIP fleet Executive fleet based in CBR, where they serve anyone from members of the royal family, the PM, GG to government ministers, and the level of service accorded to them is equilivant and most times better then first class on a civilian airline.

Sure the level of training is a bit longer because of the military aspect of things and there is the 4yr contract but these are certainly all very attainable.

As for the pay as mentioned by soontobevb there is also trip allowances, extra flying pay which increases year by year, and the base salary which again increases with lenght of service and rank, the annual leave/holidays per year is 6weeks.

And for all those wondering yes I am currentlly a Crew Attendant in the RAAF.
         Jump to Top
P.S.U
Australia
#9  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 20/09/2007 at 09:02
Fasinating job fastflyer. Please tell a little more about it. Where are the crew based? Where do you go? What are fellow crew like? What age etc etc etc?
Very curious...
Edited 20/09/2007 @ 09:05 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
fastflyer
Australia
#10  Re: Military Flight Attendant  Posted 21/09/2007 at 04:21
RAAF has 2 Squadrons for what we call Crew Attendants and they are 34SQN in Canberra which does all the VIP flights, 2X BBJ's (737) and 3X CL604's Challenger aircraft. and 33SQN based in Richmond which is west of SYD we do strategic transport ie. passengers and cargo, and Air to Air Refueling of fighter jets 33SQN uses the B707 X2.
The B707 is being retired and will be replaced from 2009 by the A330 X5 and these will be bassed in Amberley in SE QLD approx 46km West of BNE

Both squadrons fly domestic and international, and with the A330's will do a great deal more globally then we do now, it is expected that the A330's will also do international VIP tasks as they are configured the same as QF A/C with Business class seats and ECN seating.

so atm Canberra and Richmond are the only places you will be employed at but as mentioned b4 this will change to CBA and AMB. and NO you do not have to live on base like traditional sterotypes you may of seen you are free to live pretty much where ever you wish, the only exception to this is during initial training.

We currentlly have more female members in this job then males but this is gradually changing to a more even 50/50 which is good for us guys.

You can join up from age 17 with pases in year 10 or equiv education.

anything more anyone wants to know i would be happy to answer.
         Jump to Top
Next >