profile image
mick89
Life as a cabin crew?
profile image
mick89
Hey guys!

I'm a web developer, highly unsatisfied with the job i currently do. Why? Because i hate sitting at the desk for 10hrs a day.

I simply want/need a different, more interesting, more "fun" job. I wanted to apply for cabin crew for some time now, but have failed to do so.

I have a few questions about the role, but i don't like to get the answers for some articles that are posted on the internet, because it's often made up. I want to hear it from people who actually do this job and have lots of experience in it.

1. How would you describe a lifestyle of a cabin crew?
2. How many hours a day you work?
3. How often do you get to go home?
4. How much free time do you have between flights, and what are some things that you are able to do?
5. Do airlines take care of the accommodation in foreign countries?
6. How many times a week/month do you usually fly and how many hours monthly?
7. How hard is it actually to get in?
8. Are you satisfied with your job?
9. Are you satisfied with wages?

I know this may vary from airline to airline, but I'm just looking to gather some data, so it would make my decision easier.

Thank you for your input!

Kind Regards
profile image
Cabin Crew Consultant
It is very dependant on which airline you choose, which country and type of flying - charter/scheduled/ long haul/short haul/VIP etc. There is a lot of variation!

Take a look at my articles about being cabin crew ( and everything cabin crew!) in the career advice section here:
http://www.cabincrew.com/career-advice

Also see my own website below, for more info.

There is a wealth of information about lifestyle, the realities of the job and the difficulties of getting a job - it is easier to get into Harvard than get a job as cabin crew - that is a fact! The competition is very tough... It is also not known as being a well paid job but the lifestyle suits many of us.
profile image
mick89
thank you for your reply, i really appreciate it.

i will go over your information now :)

Regards
profile image
Hails2411
Hi guys, I've set up a new Facebook group for wannabe and current Cabin Crew- would love to have you 'onboard'! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1000899443393674/
profile image
Belenix
Hi Mick!
I am going to try and reply to your questions the best I can.

1. I will keep repeating this but there is a big difference between being cabin crew for short and long haul. Some people in airlines like BA does both but I started with only short haul and now I only do Long haul so for me iss a very different lifestyle.
When I was doing SH I went back home every night and I used to work around 4 days a week (that depends on the airline, some of them have patterns like 5 days working,, 3 days off, etc) but in my case it was different every week even if you had the roster 2 months before. This lifestyle was not much different from a normal job, apart from the fact that you worked many hours in a row but goong back home every night and having your days off, you can have a normal life, a family or your routines.
Now in long haul I have more or less 1 ftrip a week, but every trip is minimum 3 days, maximum 10. After every trip I have to have minimum 2 days off and I have minimum 1 night in the destination so I am away much often. Being long flights the workload is less but it is more fatiguing as if it is a 14 hours flight you have to start 90 min earlier +45 min for boarding +the transportation and after those 14 hours you still have 45 min more to disembark +d the transport to the hotel. With LH is mor difficult to have a routine and you live more in jet lag, you have to be used to the hour changes and be able to sleep and eat at any time, some people lives that as something very hard but I have to say that I can sleep everywhere at any time so that makes it easier. With LH you also spend more time doing things with the crew as they are not only in the plane but you see them downroute and you usually plan things to do together and explore the world. It is much more social but having so many friends doing LH also makes it difficult to see them in your days off! Again, in this case is more difficult to have a family or personal stability as you have to be used to changes in your body and your time off.

2. I think I have already mentioned the hours for LH. In SH can be less or more depends on your company. As you can do 4 flights in a day maybe 2 h each+cleaning, boarding and disembarking, etc. So both cases requires many hours. In my case in SH I had breaks in every flights at least 20/30 min where you can sit down and relax but not many companies have that. In long haul the breaks as well depend on your company but in my case I go to sleep for at least 1 hour in every flight.

3.i explained that earlier as well but SH you go back home everyday and LH it depends on company and rosters.

4.time between flights i have also explained it. Things you are able to do... Whatever you can if you can organize yourself!

5. Of course! You are there for work so they take care of hotel and transportation and give you some po' key money to eat downroute (usually not enough haha)

6. That again depends on the airline but I think with point 1. Is more or less explained. About the hours the maximum flight hours a month is 100 and maximum 900 a year, because of the radiation.

7. If you have what they look for it should not be hard at all. I had it for the first airline i applied to and when I wanted to change i could at the first attempt aswell.

8. I LOVE my job!!

9. That depends on the airline but unfortunately aviation has gone down as everytkme the tickets are cheaper and there is more people wanting to do our job so salaries are usually not amazing... In my company most of us have a second job in our days off but some airlines have amazing salaries too. So it varies a lot.

I hope oIhelped you. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck if you try!!!

Belle
profile image
Jaydeunderhill
How do cabin crew survive on such a low salary?!!
paying rent and bills etc if you have to move closer to your base?
id love to become cabin crew but i'm so worried about having no money left!

any advice/ information would be greatly appreciated
profile image
samweiss
oh come on... it's not slavery! you won't become a millionaire but I for one can afford all that I want and save money as well... it all depends on your lifestyle but in my opinion it's a completely normal salary
profile image
mick89
Originally posted by @Belenix
Hi Mick!
I am going to try and reply to your questions the best I can.

1. I will keep repeating this but there is a big difference between being cabin crew for short and long haul. Some people in airlines like BA does both but I started with only short haul and now I only do Long haul so for me iss a very different lifestyle.
When I was doing SH I went back home every night and I used to work around 4 days a week (that depends on the airline, some of them have patterns like 5 days working,, 3 days off, etc) but in my case it was different every week even if you had the roster 2 months before. This lifestyle was not much different from a normal job, apart from the fact that you worked many hours in a row but goong back home every night and having your days off, you can have a normal life, a family or your routines.
Now in long haul I have more or less 1 ftrip a week, but every trip is minimum 3 days, maximum 10. After every trip I have to have minimum 2 days off and I have minimum 1 night in the destination so I am away much often. Being long flights the workload is less but it is more fatiguing as if it is a 14 hours flight you have to start 90 min earlier +45 min for boarding +the transportation and after those 14 hours you still have 45 min more to disembark +d the transport to the hotel. With LH is mor difficult to have a routine and you live more in jet lag, you have to be used to the hour changes and be able to sleep and eat at any time, some people lives that as something very hard but I have to say that I can sleep everywhere at any time so that makes it easier. With LH you also spend more time doing things with the crew as they are not only in the plane but you see them downroute and you usually plan things to do together and explore the world. It is much more social but having so many friends doing LH also makes it difficult to see them in your days off! Again, in this case is more difficult to have a family or personal stability as you have to be used to changes in your body and your time off.

2. I think I have already mentioned the hours for LH. In SH can be less or more depends on your company. As you can do 4 flights in a day maybe 2 h each+cleaning, boarding and disembarking, etc. So both cases requires many hours. In my case in SH I had breaks in every flights at least 20/30 min where you can sit down and relax but not many companies have that. In long haul the breaks as well depend on your company but in my case I go to sleep for at least 1 hour in every flight.

3.i explained that earlier as well but SH you go back home everyday and LH it depends on company and rosters.

4.time between flights i have also explained it. Things you are able to do... Whatever you can if you can organize yourself!

5. Of course! You are there for work so they take care of hotel and transportation and give you some po' key money to eat downroute (usually not enough haha)

6. That again depends on the airline but I think with point 1. Is more or less explained. About the hours the maximum flight hours a month is 100 and maximum 900 a year, because of the radiation.

7. If you have what they look for it should not be hard at all. I had it for the first airline i applied to and when I wanted to change i could at the first attempt aswell.

8. I LOVE my job!!

9. That depends on the airline but unfortunately aviation has gone down as everytkme the tickets are cheaper and there is more people wanting to do our job so salaries are usually not amazing... In my company most of us have a second job in our days off but some airlines have amazing salaries too. So it varies a lot.

I hope oIhelped you. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck if you try!!!

Belle

sorry for a bit late reply, i was really busy lately, but finally got some time to get back to the forum.

I'd like to thank you for very useful information! I have one last question. I want to apply for the job, but i saw that i need to take photo, where i need to be clean shaven. How much of a deal breaker is that? I have a beard, and i never ever shave it. I definitely do not look like some sort of a bum, i always take care of my beard, but it would be a real shame if i had to shave it.

profile image
Lexi123
Hi there!
I've been writing a blog of my trips away as cabin crew, so be a great way to get a little insight into regular trips and what we get up to! Here's the link:
https://travelsinred.blogspot.com

Enjoy! x

Other discussions going on within Wannabe Cabin Crew

How Hard is it to Regularly Se... So, I'm wanting to be a flight attendant. One thin...
0  80 -
0 80 -
Cabin crew Hello im 20 years old . i want be a cabin crew but...
3  388 1 year ago
3 388 1 year ago by Sarah McMillan
Wizzair training in Lviv, 13.0... Hi guys,Is there anybody here who is participating...
0  657 -
0 657 -
Tattoo Cover Up
4  1.39k 6 years ago
4 1.39k 6 years ago by PL1994
5 6.22k 1 year ago by Sarah McMillan

Other topics for Cabin Crew

Interviews Tell us your experiences!
71  986.43k 4 months ago
71 986.43k 4 months ago by Rachid Anssari
Current Cabin Crew Jobs For all announcements relating to cabin crew jobs
126  958.75k 2 months ago
126 958.75k 2 months ago by Emad Omda
Experienced Cabin Crew For the Veterans!
57  183.36k 7 months ago
57 183.36k 7 months ago by annaliona
Cabin Crew Travel Insurance Going The Extra Mile!
3  27.44k 1 year ago
3 27.44k 1 year ago by Tommie Marshall
Equipment Operator I want to find a job as Equipment Operator in airc...
2  33 -
2 33 -