Post a reply
Add a new Topic
Search the Forums
Search
Latest Posts
- Recent emails for LHR post?
- 31st March Training
- My Emirates Interview Experiences (TIPS & ADVICE)
- Training 9th march
- VIRGIN ARE RECRUITING
- How about SCARS ?
- Basic disclosure application for non UK resident
- British Airways Assessment Days!
- Training @ LUTON 24 March.. BFS base.
- Aer Lingus Recruitment Dublin Open

Jet2 selection far too political

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  sherbetfountain    On:  Sun 30th October, 2011 at 12:28
sherbetfountain
#1  Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 30/10/2011 at 12:28
Attended a Jet2 selection day last week. Totally biased and unfair procedure. We started with the numeracy/literacy tests which were multiple choice and embarrassingly easy -comparable with primary school year2. This, I feel, was an insulting way to test one's writing and counting skills and made me think, do I really want to work for a company that sets such a low measure of an individual's potential and intelligence? Onto the team building, again embarrassing. The exercises were meaningless,unimaginative, cringeworthy and insulting.During the morning, each applicant had to stand up, introduce themselves to everyone and give an account of their background, experience and reason for wanting to work as cabin crew for Jet2. I had it all sussed from the start. A group of around 10 applicants seemed to show a distinct air of confidence, they knew each other, distanced themselves from others and they sat together during each session or activity. I knew exactly what was coming from each when they had to stand and give an account of their career/life history. "I worked for Ryanair, British Airways and Monarch and flying is my passion".... This was the sort of spiel they each came up with and by the time the 5th member of the clique stood up and waxed lyrical about the fantastic lifestyle and the enthusiasm they had for flying, sucking up to the selectors, it was all getting so utterly predictable. Moreover, I was starting to realise that I had no chance nor others of getting a remote sniff of a career with Jet 2. It also set me wondering that if flying was so brilliant, why had these over zealous individuals kept jacking it in? There were loads of talented people in the room, with excellent skills and credentials who gave a decent performance but I knew they would not have a hope in hell of getting a start as the clique were certainties. Quite simply if you have not worked for an airline as a member of cabin crew you are wasting your time, money and efforts.
I was not too bothered about being knocked back as I have a better paid job and only attended as I have a notion to do something else so nothing gained or lost for me. I'm just so disgusted by the totally subjective way that people are recruited. So, my advice to any 'would be' member of Jet2 cabin crew that gets picked to attend selection day is quite simple and straightforward. Woo the judges with your bubbly enthusiasm and sit with ex cabin crew. When it's your turn to give your personal account, tell them that you worked for several years for Ryan Air then you moved onto B A then Thomsons. Once selected - because, let's face it - with that list of companies you are a dead cert- you can tell them that you worked in an office and the manager was called Ryan Ayre. Then you can say that you moved onto a position with British Aluminium followed by a short stint at Thomson's furniture shop. Worth a try don't you think?
I sincerely hope that members of the Jet2 selection are reading this because quite simply, your recruitment process stinks.
         Jump to Top
user39472
#2  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 02/11/2011 at 00:04
In reply to post #1...
I actually was invited, but I missed this Selection Day because of my holiday.Yes, it is really dissapointing when it is like this, but you just keep trying....
         Jump to Top
hardhatchancer
United Kingdom
#3  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 03/11/2011 at 18:25
In reply to post #1...
Entertaining read........ It really was.

One question.. How did I, an 18 year old Sales Advisor at a blummin' clothes store, get on first time with no aviation experience whatsoever!

I thought the recruitment event was very enjoyable and relaxing. Never saw a hint of bias. Tests need to be attainable by most people otherwise it risks demotivation. Everyone deserves more chances than just how many dots you can/can't count on the screen.

I would have loved to have seen what you would have maybe written on here HAD you got the job!

Better luck next time hunniiiiii
         Jump to Top
sherbetfountain
#4  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 04/11/2011 at 11:38
In reply to post #3...
As I said, nothing gained or lost for me, I was more annoyed that there were many potentially promising candidates that didn't get a look in. I also felt that Jet2 should have made it clear that preference would be given to applicants with previous flying experience.
         Jump to Top
hardhatchancer
United Kingdom
#5  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 04/11/2011 at 19:23
In reply to post #4...
did you actually read my reply? ha
         Jump to Top
sherbetfountain
#6  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 04/11/2011 at 19:59
In reply to post #5...
Yes indeed, I read your reply. I am relieved that at least somebody young, intelligent and articulate as yourself actually managed to get through despite the fact that you have no experience of aviation and you work in a clothes shop.
I think we may have been at different selection days. Can you explain the dots on the screen test?
         Jump to Top
newcabincrew
#7  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 06/11/2011 at 10:26
In reply to post #1...
Well ive just done my first season for Jet2 and managed to get through the application, selection day and training without any sort of travel and tourism qualification or knowledge. I'm 19 and at GCSE failed miserably at my leisure and tourism. Moved on to doing sport at college which again has no connections with the travel and tourism industry. The selection day is a day to give EVERYONE chance to promote yourself. Being able to show your personality, skills and also being able to show how well you can work in a team and under pressure.The activities they used with us, which i'm guessing will be the same we're entertaining, fun and we're made to get everyone involved, being able to prove who can listen to the team but also have their input too. Its not an easy job as much as I love it. You seem to have a really negative attitude which the recruitment team could probably see on your face. At the end of the day they want a smile not a sulk no matter how tough the day is. The selection day is goign to be the same no matter where you go, there's always going to be at least one person whose worked for another airline. No need to be bitter, just try again next year either with jet2 or another company.
         Jump to Top
sherbetfountain
#8  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 06/11/2011 at 13:59
In reply to post #7...
For the last time, I do not have a grievance with not passing muster. I am merely making a valid point regarding the vast amount of young, well groomed people with excellent credentials, eloquent speakers with the capacity to spell accurately, having great personalities who were not given the chance. Many of these individuals took days off work and paid money to stay overnight in Edinburgh.They were left completely disillusioned and to be quite honest, if I had been accepted, I would happily have gifted my opportunity to one of these aspiring candidates.
The purpose of my initial contribution to this forum was to enlighten applicants.
         Jump to Top
Jem92
United Kingdom
#9  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 08/11/2011 at 20:22
In reply to post #8...
After reading the subject of this post i have to say i cant agree more. I too was unsussesfull at the morning stage. I noticed a group of girls who knew each other and had all grouped together throughout the morning- every one of them got through to the interviews. Also may i add i agree with your comment of having experiance. I haven't got flying experiance however i attended college and gained an A level in aviation operations- this to me was irevelvant to jet2. So the out come if my day, around 30 in the morning, id say about 8 went to interviews, of those they all either already worked for jet2 on the ground, had previously flown or worked as a check-in person. Jet2 to me dont give people chances, they know the EXACT person they want before youve spoke they will look at you and no wether your right or wrong for them. My advice is beware of jet2, you are not treat fairly in srlection days, too many people attend so you can easily be sidelined. Finally as you dint automatically get a one to one interview how on earth can you show jet2 the REAL you they want to see?? Interviews are where most people shine not in maths tests and silly group exercises!!!!'
Edited 08/11/2011 @ 20:27 Revision #1
         Jump to Top
immixx
United Kingdom
#10  Re: Jet2 selection far too political  Posted 09/11/2011 at 00:19
In reply to post #9...
K
Edited 09/11/2011 @ 13:12 Revision #2
         Jump to Top
Next >