profile image
steve zodiac
How to survive an assessment day!!!!
profile image
steve zodiac
This is an update of a thread that I wrote last year.

I attended an Assessment Day on the 25th November 2012. I was successful and have just completed my first season having started on the 25th February.

I hope this will help some people wondering what to expect and most of all ease some fears and apprehensions. So, here is:-

"EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT AN ASSESSMENT DAY (BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK!!)."

First of all you have nothing to be afraid of. When you arrive in the morning, you can bet that whatever nerves you may be feeling, every other candidate in the room will be feeling exactly the same.

Now, assuming you have been sensible, had an early night and refrained from drinking alchohol the night before you should be feeling alert, bright and bushy tailed.

Again, assuming you have arrived on time you will have this time to enjoy meeting some of the other candidates.

"REGISTRATION "
Everyone will be called out in turn for registration where essentially, you hand over your completed paperwork that you received with your e-mail inviting you to the day. You will also be asked for any holidays you may have already booked for the coming year.

"HEIGHT CHECK"
You will also be checked around this time for height. This is simply take your shoes off, stand against the wall and be measured.

"GROUP STAGES"
Okay, you know when you're on a rollercoaster and it starts off, slowly going up the first slope and you think "oh well, this isn't too bad"? And then it reaches the summit, makes a turn and YELP!!!! WE'RE OFF!!!!!
Well, the next couple of hours will be the 'hairy bit'. You will all be split into smaller groups. Your group will be led into a room with two Thomson employees.
Now starts the infamous:-
MATHS TEST, COMPANY KNOWLEDGE AND GROUP ASSESSMENTS.
Not necessarily in that order. But we'll start with Company Knowledge. This should be self explanatory. Read about the company on the website. Not just Thomson Airways. Remember the invitation came from TUI. Just do some basic research with some relevant facts and figures and you'll be fine.
The group stages I believe, are there to see how you will react within a group and to see if you can have an impact.
But remember, the two assessors are expertly watching the group every which way and turn. PLEASE, DO NOT PANIC and think you have to show how domineering you can be within the group. It's not about that. It's more about 'simply getting on' with your colleagues in a positive manner.
Next. your group will be asked to make a short presentation of the choices you made as the group. The group stage can be very hard, particularly if you have one or two dominating members within the group. But stay calm, consider your reasoning and take your own time.
Which leads us nicely into the dreaded........
MATHS TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, let's get the bad news out the way first. It is not easy! BUT, you will find it a whole lot easier if you practise your additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions and currency converting ;leading up to your assessment day. And you are able to use a calculator which is a godsend! You are given a time limit but again do not panic. Keep calm, read the question carefully and the publication that you will work out your answers from. Accuracy is the key so take with your final answers!

And that's it...the hardest part is now over.

You will be led back into the main room again to re-join all the other candidates. You will feel pretty exhausted by this stage. It is mentally very tiring. But you can relax now. Throughout the morning you will have noticed how genuinely friendly all the recruitment team are. They make it an enjoyable process but it is tough. The recruitment team are professional but if you have done your homework and equally conducted yourself in a professional manner then that's all one can ask.

The next 20 minutes or so some of the team will tell you more about the company and what it is like as a cabin crew member and what the contract will be.

Then comes the dreaded 'cut'. You will feel the tension in the room as names are read out. Even when your name is called you will not know whether you are through to the afternoon or not. You will most likely be led into one of the smaller rooms again along with the other names that were called along with yours.

If you did not make it through then please do not take it personally. If you did your best then perhaps this year it was just not meant to be. Again the recruitment team are brilliant! They will actually take time out and give you feedback. This could be invaluable if you aim to have another go next year.

You will be sad at this stage of course, but please, don't let it get you down for any length of time. Take positives away of which there are many. But to sum them up, you will have experienced a proper cabin crew assessment day which will be tremendous experience to carry forward. And you will have almost made it. You beat all the thousands that applied that didn't get invited to an assessment day. Next time may very well be your day especially if you 'swat' up on the bits you feel you were weaker on.

If you were one of the fortunate ones to stay for the afternoon...well done. You will have a shortish break and then it is the:-

2 on 1 INTERVIEW
You will be back with the other successful candidates and in time your name will be called.
There is a scenario question that you will be asked and then it is the interview itself.
The interviewees are fantastic and will aim to relax you. They know you will be nervous.
They will ask some questions about yourself. I will not go into this with any more detail as it is after, all an interview. But relax, listen carefully to the questions, consider your answers before replying, don't feel rushed, speak clearly.

If you do not fully understand a question, say so. But do not lie. A trained interviewer will probably pick up on it straight away and return to the question when you are least expecting it.

Keep Calm and be yourself, you'll be fine. It's a breeze after the morning session.

And then you go home.

If you are successful again after the interview stage you will get a congratulations e-mail from TUI Recruitment within the next couple of days. You will then be placed within the 'holding' pool for your requested base.

If there are vacancies and you are next on the list you will be called with your training starting date anytime from the last week in January until probably end of March.

The training is 5 1/2 weeks. It is very thorough, tough and intensive, particularly the first 3 weeks with an exam seemingly every other day!! As a complete newcomer I found the training and exams very, very hard but rewarding. Especially the In Flight Medical Section.

Successfully complete that and YIPPEEEEEEEEE ! YOU HAVE YOUR WINGS!!

I hope the above helps anyone anxious about a forthcoming assessment day. I have tried to be realistic without too much sugar coating. I have also tried hard not to be too specific about questions and answers as that would be unethical.

Is it worth it? You bet it is! This year I have been to some wonderful places, had some amazing experiences and best of all, met some fantastic people and made some really special friendships with colleagues at Thomson!

Good luck to you all,

Andrew
profile image
lara1
Hey Steve

How lovely to see you here. I was only thinking yesterday how it wasn't the same on here this year without you and then up you pop.

I'm sure all the new guys here will b so grateful for your fantastic help guide

I've sent you a pm, will look forward to hearing all your adventures

Spk soon

Lara
profile image
steve zodiac
Hi Lara,

How are you?

A lot's happened since last we communicated. Unfortunately some deaths this year...but my eldest daughter got married. What a fantastic day that was! And of course my new career as a Flight Attendant which is fantastic.

I do hope that people find it helpful.

See ya on the pm's.

A
profile image
user16937
Thanks so much for this post, Steve, it defo helped me through my AD at Thomson!
profile image
user16937
Thanks so much for this post, Steve, it defo helped me through my AD at Thomson!
profile image
A54Y
SteveZ,

Thanks for your post, I'll stick it to the top of the forum to help anyone who visits the forum. I'm sure it will settle a few nerves and help many people.

A54Y
profile image
misszippy
Thank you for posting this Steve. I have my AD at Gatwick next month and the nerves are starting to kick in a little all ready. I am also really looking forward to it. Whatever the outcome I am determined to enjoy it and not to let my nerves ruin the day.

Good luck to everyone else who has an AD coming up soon
profile image
misszippy
PS I just noticed my spelling mistake..... All Ready should be Already. Great start lol DOH!
profile image
steve zodiac
Hi Pisha ,

Thank you so much for your kind words and I am very glad if it helped you.

How did you get on? Did you find it hard?

Kind regards
A
profile image
steve zodiac
A54Y,

Very pleased and honoured that you have put up it up the top and I sincerely hope that it helps future candidates.

Kind regards
A

Other discussions going on within Thomson Airways

TUI Recruitment open
1  2.09k 4 years ago
1 2.09k 4 years ago by A54Y
Man AD
1  2.04k 5 years ago
1 2.04k 5 years ago by Becky_1234
Video Interview
7  3k 1 year ago
7 3k 1 year ago by Harry Williams
MAN - 4th March 2019 - Whatsap...
0  1.66k -
0 1.66k -
TUI Talent Pool - Summer 2022
200  25.28k 1 year ago
200 25.28k 1 year ago by Di Moore

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

Virgin Atlantic Specific to Virgin Atlantic!
162  634.1k 1 year ago
162 634.1k 1 year ago by Lisa Harle
Middle East Airlines Forum Emirates, Gulf, Etihad, Qatar.......
718  4k 1 month ago
718 4k 1 month ago by anniesteuber
Qantas UK Forum For those working at Qantas UK
31  372.51k 1 year ago
31 372.51k 1 year ago by Charles Carter
British Airways Specific to British Airways
40  6k 8 months ago
40 6k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
Jet2 All posts relating to Jet2
64  248.51k 10 months ago
64 248.51k 10 months ago by Andrew E. Briscoe