- Emirates Video interview

Flight path over War Zone

Author
  Topic Started By:  Narango    On:  Thu 15th October, 2015 at 14:31
Narango
#2  Flight path over War Zone  Posted 15/10/2015 at 14:31
Hi
FLIGHT PATH OVER WAR ZONE
I recently flew from Bahrain to Heathrow via Gulf-Air.

I noticed on the flat screen at the back of the seat that the route showed going over Iraq and Syria; an active war zone.

After what happened with MH17 Malaysian Airlines over Ukraine I emailed Gulf air about this to ask if this was the case.

I got an email back saying that this was not the case; that was all; they did not elaborate.

I appreciate that the animation at the back of the seat is just that; not necessarily a sat-nav version of where the plane is.

The Russians are now sending cruise missiles to Syria;from the Caspian sea!

What is the current policy of airlines in this area?

How do we get accurate information on what is happening?

Surely flight professionals such as pilots and cabin crew are concerned about this and have an interest in avoiding any potential war-zone. What are they saying?

I have to fly back at some stage I am concerned and would like to get accurate information.

I personally would not mind spending an extra £100 and an extra hour to avoid this area completely. We have no control over what is happening on the ground cannot trust anyone in such a zone.

Please advise,
         Jump to Top
MixedGirlFlying
#3  Re: Flight path over War Zone  Posted 08/12/2016 at 20:46
In reply to post #2...
Hi there,

I was thinking the same this year after some bad flight experiences in the Americas. I took a flight earlier this year from FRA to CMB via DXB and I had the exact same thoughts. I noticed the flight to DXB took longer than usual. On the screen it showed we avoided Syria and Iraq and flew over Iran instead. Im pretty sure that big airlines don't fly over war zones anymore, especially since the reach of missiles is not certain and like you mentioned, after the Malaysian Airlines incident. Also, I read that airlines such as Air France and British Airways declared shortly after the incident that they are totally avoiding war zones. In this case Iraq and Syria. Hope that answers your question. Cheers and safe travels!
         Jump to Top
cabincrewconsultant
#4  Re: Flight path over War Zone  Posted 10/12/2016 at 09:09
In reply to post #2...
Most airlines (certainly the large airlines) operations centres will have access to the latest security information (no fly zones) and route planning software and they will be well aware of where aircraft will fly and will route them in the most efficient way around the no fly zone. It's not like a pilot just decides to fly wherever he wants that day! The only case where aircraft still fly in these areas is private airlines or aircraft on missions - and even they have to weigh up the risks involved. No airline would take the risk of another MH17. Also flight crew will receive NOTAMS on any risk areas and will be aware of where they can/cannot fly in case of a diversion or similar and considering that many have families at home, they would not take the risk of flying over/into a war zone, that I am sure. The air show is not entirely efficient of showing the actual route and it may well change from what is shown pre-flight, if the flight plan changes for any reason. Don't worry about your flight back, there will be a large flight operations department planning, routing and following your flight to ensure safety, as well as the pilots actually flying...
Cabin Crew Consultant - www.cabincrewconsultant.weebly.com
         Jump to Top
A54Y
United Kingdom
#5  Re: Flight path over War Zone  Posted 10/12/2016 at 15:15
In reply to post #2...

Originally posted by Narango

Hi

.........I appreciate that the animation at the back of the seat is just that; not necessarily a sat-nav version of where the plane is.

To be clear and depending on the version used, the data on the animated map is usually drawn straight from the flight management computer and is as accurate as you can get.

Remember, Nil illegitimi carborundum!
         Jump to Top