profile image
adm81
Etihad Airways - Rejection at application
profile image
adm81
Hi everyone.

Well as per subject topic, I have been rejected at application stage for Etihad Airways, this was the email I received when I finished working a Night Flight.

"[I]Thank you for submitting an application for the Position of Cabin Crew with us.

Having reviewed your details, we will not be moving forward with your application at this time.

Should this position become available after a period of six months from now, you are welcome to re-apply.

If you are interested in exploring other opportunities with us, please continue to visit our careers website. We offer an email alert option which you may find useful.

Kind regards

Etihad Airways Recruitment Team[/I]"

Now obviously I am doing something totally wrong as I have waited 6 months after my last email rejection.

What the hell does this company want and look for? I am currently working as cabin crew at the moment, working Short & Mid Haul. I really want to go into Long Haul though, and working/living in Abu Dhabi seems like a fantastic experience.

I know for a fact that because I am a White Male and over 30 years of age, I will have ZERO chance with Emirates. But I thought Etihad would be different.

Is it a culture thing, whereby any white males, over 30 years of age, from the UK just don't get a look in?

Obviously they don't provide feedback as to why you didn't meet criteria (since the airline industry is hugely competitive), but it is incredibly disheartening getting rejected at the first hurdle time and time again, and no idea where I have gone wrong.

I am currently working for a Charter Airline, and worked for a budget airline before that.

I know that many people have put up posts similar to this. But I feel like banging my head off of a brick wall here with these rejection emails.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.
profile image
peppermint-tea
Hi,

I am soo sorry to hear about your rejection!!!! I know how much that hurts. (I have been applying as cabin crew for 20 months now, with all sorts of airlines.)

I know for fact that EY does not hire married people as cc. There are married people that get in, but they simply list themselves as "single" on the application form, and then "get married" soon after being hired.

So did you list "married" on your application?

I went to an EY AD back in March and there were men over 30 at the AD. At the first elimination all the men but one were eliminated.

The one guy who made it to the second round was a tall man of south Asian background, 40-45, slightly over-weight, well dressed, and quiet.

I got cut during the first round, so I don't know how far that guy made it.

EY hires mostly women, so I don't know what to say, except that I wish you luck.

I hope this was at least a little helpful.
profile image
adm81
Hi there,

Thank you for your kind reply,

I am actually single, and also slightly overweight too. I wasn't sure if it was to do with my photos that I had sent in, as I didn't smile. They were actually passport photos with a neutral expression, and my full body pic was a picture of myself in my airline uniform, but I wasn't smiling.

For all I know it could be that, but I don't know.

Like I said, I applied for Emirates numerous times, I was rejected at email stage of an online application, and have attended Open Days, at my own expense, which have been a total waste of time.

I know that these companies are based in a different country, and obviously have different cultural norms; but I'd rather the organisation just said if they didn't want men applying.

I have even applied for Qatar Airways (Despite the MANY bad stories shared on here and other forums), but was rejected there too.

Hell a girl I worked with in a previous airline didn't get kept on, then applied for a low cost leisure airline, and got in (despite the fact I got rejected twice), but the charter airline I was accepted into, she didn't get in.

However, she is working for Emirates now. She is a very pretty and in her early 20's. So maybe she was picked due to her appearance.

Thanks again for the kind words.
profile image
justme2013
Dear peppermint-tea, sorry but I think you're spreading a quite bit wrong information.....i know girls that are married and got short listed to attend EY's AD so if they wouldn't want to hire married people they wouldn't short list them in the first place they would just be rejected from the online application ;)
And also what you are saying about people who are married and get in cause they apply as single and then after EY hires them they "get married", i think also this is quite not possible as there is something called "marriage certificate" u know ;) and inthis certificate there are stated a bunch of informations about the spouses and along with these also the DATE of the marriage is stated....so in a company ( especially the big ones like these) when one declares that he/she is married or just got married, they will have to present the copy of the marriage certificate to the HR department who will archive it in the employee's file.....so I dont think the EY's HR are so naive that they did not see on the marriage certificates that actually their employees were married before the company hire them (so they were lying all along)......so i'd say that people who read the post above and think doing the same probably they would risk getting fired for smth like this..
profile image
LadyOfTheSky
Justme2013 is correct regardless of whether you are married or not, you would be hired on a single-status visa. Being married holds no merit on your chances of being selected. All the best
profile image
LadyOfTheSky
Hi,

Don't let rejection get you down. Try again! My best advice would be to re-write your resume (put it in a super positive tone and be all about customer satisfaction/customer focus). If they still ask the short answers qs on the initial application have some really good examples of what they're asking, like when you turned pax moods around, when you went out of your way etc! All the best
profile image
justme2013
thank u LadyOfTheSky
profile image
peppermint-tea
Hello,

I apologize for the miss-information. I was told that the "single" status was required by a former EY cabin crew- but she worked there a few years ago. So either I am mistaken, or the rules have since changed. Maybe it was the "single status visa" that I had mixed up.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the miss-information.

Good luck to everyone!
profile image
princeofpersia88
Hey there so let me tell you my experience: I started as Cabin Crew with a low fares airline. I then was tempted by ek ey and applied a numerous times as well and was a waste of time. In the meantime i got hired at a large national airline and still with them now. After getting that experience i thought itd make a difference but still not, my latest AD with ek as i was shortlisted online and thought id have a better chance, still got turned down , we were 30 at the AD and 5 boys were turned down including me but one kept and he spoke quite bad english to be realistic and was working in a supermarket and never been cabin crew before. However QR value your experience as cabin crew as they specifically have and AD looking for experienced cabin crew but apparently the work/living conditions there is hell...So just to tell you it doesnt rest on your look age experience as personnally im not over 25, not overweight. you never know what these airlines are looking for. Personnally I dont like they morals and way of recruiting people as if it's "X factor". European airlines value you more as an individual. Lets just hope more of them will recruit again soon...
profile image
salman.faz
Hi All,

i have been applying in EY for over 2 years now and they are like keep on rejecting me i received the same email that's been received by adm81 every time i apply. I don't understand what are they looking for ? Is there any one from EY who can help us.

Thanks

Other discussions going on within Middle East Airlines Forum

Inflight Chef Etihad, Turkish...
7  1.12k 1 week ago
7 1.12k 1 week ago by Jordan Walker
Emirates Qualifications Query
4  2.25k 2 years ago
4 2.25k 2 years ago by david kane
Emirates app - complete in one...
7  1.83k 1 year ago
7 1.83k 1 year ago by hoai88
Qatar Amiri flight is hiring f...
8  8.23k 1 year ago
8 8.23k 1 year ago by su xeko
Emirates mental health medical...
8  2.91k 2 months ago
8 2.91k 2 months ago by anniesteuber

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

British Airways Specific to British Airways
40  6k 8 months ago
40 6k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
Qantas UK Forum For those working at Qantas UK
31  372.68k 1 year ago
31 372.68k 1 year ago by Charles Carter
Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
266  595.31k 9 months ago
266 595.31k 9 months ago by KL17
FLYBE News and Views from those at Flybe
27  193.8k 3 years ago
27 193.8k 3 years ago by juankax
Thomson Airways Thomson Airways including First Choice
93  408.54k 1 year ago
93 408.54k 1 year ago by David_Hume