profile image
Annabelm
Emirates mental health medical?
profile image
Annabelm
So I’m 21 (22 this year) just for reference and am hoping to join emirates once I finish university when I am 23.
I understand that emirates don’t accept people who have a history of anxiety and depression but was wondering if there anyone has any specific details relating to this as I have 2 problems:
When I was ~ 15 I went to the doctor about what I believed was potentially social anxiety. She never gave me an actual diagnosis but did prescribed me some beta blockers (they’re not technically anti anxiety meds, they’re normally prescribed for heart related issues) and suggested I go for therapy. I got referred but never went and have never been to the doctor about this since or renewed that prescription since then.
In my first year at uni (aged 20) I had a bit of a hard time due to some personal circumstances so went to the doctor about my low mood etc. Again, he never gave me a diagnosis of depression and I was not prescribed any medication. He suggested I have some counselling etc which I did and that was the end of it.
So my question is, will this affect me? Is it only medication ie antidepressants that they care about (which I haven’t had) or will my doctors notes show that I visited about low mood and will this be an issue? Will the medication for anxiety about 6 years ago be an issue? Does anyone have any idea how detailed UK doctors notes are and what is on them? Can I ask to see them?
Sorry this is so long but I would really appreciate some help!
profile image
Topgun15
Hello there,
what you went through seems pretty normal, I do not recommend mentioning anything related to that in the medical form, in the " History of anxiety or depression block" just tick no, you don't seem that you went through depression or anxiety as they are very serious mental issues, its a perfect reaction to feel low whenever bad things happen, especially in adolescence ( hormones and stuff )
what I'm trying to say is avoid creating a problem from thin air .
best of luck
profile image
sanjamarikj24
In your situation I don't see a problem at all so you don't have to declare it.
However I am in a very bad situation for couple of months there was a lot happening to me and mental health is very common lately, I am struggling with moderate to severe depression and anxiety but I haven't been on meds yet because I am worried I might loose the opportunity to work for them. I am still waiting for their answer so I really don't know what to do, if anyone experienced this please help me out.
profile image
Topgun15
Try to avoid meds, eventually, you get depended to them and your life won't be the same, being sad or melancholic is part of the human experience, its an urge for us to improve and better our lives so we can feel happy again, working out plus a good diet and good sleep should fix you up in no time, delete the word depression from your brain and live life normally even if you get sad, or really sad sometimes its FINE, best of luck
profile image
sanjamarikj24
Thank you so much for your kind words! For me it's not just sad, I know how it is to be just sad and i wish i can feel it again only that. The difference is every day i am deeply emotionally drained, i cannot get out of bed, i don't have energy or motivation to do anything, i lost interest in all the activities and i'm loosing interest to live. It's a very bad condition that it is day by day the same it haven't been improved at all. I keep seeing psychologist but it doesn't help me much, i think my last option is meds but i am scared to try them because of the things you said and that they might not help me and i will loose all the hope as i already lost it. I thought if i start working i can get my mind off and specially to fly that's why i don't want to loose this chance but health should be more important and i am very stuck into this situation. I do not wish it to anyone it's really hard and painful. Also we do not choose to feel like that, there were so many things that happened to me in the past couple of months and as emotional being we are not that strong to take everything and think positive. Please help out to who ever is suffering they really need it
profile image
mtl_traveler
Hi there,
I have personal experience with this. I have ADHD and depression as a teenager. I joined EK in Jan 2013. Reading this forum I knew they don't look kindly at stuff like that so I left it out of my medical history and weaned off my ADHD meds.

It was hard and I will tell you now that working for EK can be really emotionally trying but can be a great way to see the world.
profile image
Red Arrow

Mental disorders are an important problem that requires serious solutions. For example, I went to a psychologist for a long time and took a course of sedatives until I found cbd products. If you are wondering what does cbd stands for , then I advise you to go to a site where there is more information on this topic. There you can find out if such a product is suitable for you.

profile image
anniesteuber

Emirates prioritizes the well-being and safety of their passengers, and their in-flight medical services are designed to address various medical needs, including mental health concerns. They have trained medical professionals on board their flights who can provide assistance and support in case of medical emergencies or situations requiring medical attention.

Other discussions going on within Middle East Airlines Forum

Inflight Chef Etihad, Turkish...
6  1.11k 2 months ago
6 1.11k 2 months ago by sayeed shazz
Emirates Qualifications Query
4  2.25k 2 years ago
4 2.25k 2 years ago by david kane
Emirates app - complete in one...
7  1.83k 1 year ago
7 1.83k 1 year ago by hoai88
Qatar Amiri flight is hiring f...
8  8.2k 1 year ago