profile image
Jennievu
Emirates- AD and height problem
profile image
Jennievu
Is there anyone attending the AD but under 160cm? Do recruiters reject immediately if you're under 160cm ( 157cm or 158cm) or they primarily focus on arm reach? Please let me know :( Thank you so much!
profile image
user16937
hello there!

I don't know about others' but this is from my experience
v
v
v

they will measure your height first, if you pass they will let you do the reach test.
but if you don't, you don't even get a chance to try reach test.

they will put their Emirates poster on the wall, and there are two marks; one is for 160 and the other is for 212.
"For people who are obviously taller than 160 cm",
the recruiters will just let candidates stand against the poster and check quickly by their eyes.

"For people who are like exactly 160,161 or something like that",
they will let you stand and put something on your head to measure. (my round at that time it was a thick folder)
i got like around 0.5 left to reach that 160,... I was sent home straight away.
and others who were under 160 as well...

"but hey"! try yoga and exercise!
I am working on it because I believe if its just 1or 2 cm, exercise will help!
there are lots of helpful video on YouTube!!
"You'd better start it now or time will just fly...it's now or never."
"By doing exercises, we've got nothing to lose right? "

"lets believe and do our best!"

Good Luck to you
profile image
Jennievu
Omg they're quite strict about this matter now. Because EK always consider only about arm reach when they recruited before :'( ?? Where did you attend the interview btw? Omg I'm so sorry to hear that :( I hope we can meet each other at the EK training center someday!
profile image
Jennievu
Omg Im so sorry to hear that :'( EK now is quite strict about the height problem bcz they just focused on arm reach before :(( where did you attend the interview btw? I hope we will meet up soon at EK training center someday!
profile image
user16937
Hey Jennie! thanks for you reply and I'm over it now and trying to do my best in what I can now!

So I attended the OD in Kuala Lumpur and then I passed through the AD which was held the day later. It was in September 2016.

Yeah! they used to just focus on arm reaching thing, but since September 2016 this new requirement was added...
I know its not good to say this ,but I think its not fair for people who apply now though,
because before that happened my friend she is just 157 something but she is there working in Emirates now...
I mean why does the height matter when we can reach 212 cm?

And I do hope to see you there too.

:)
profile image
TangoFlyer
Airlines will set height minimums based on collective reasons, one of which Occupational Health & Safety of the crew has been recently a priority. I urge you girls and boys who start to feel height discriminated to take a visit to any Certified Fitness Coach at any Fitness Facility, and let them take you through the complexity of back injuries. The spine can slowly take stress over time, even for years on end, until one day, when it's a clear sunny day and you are just relaxing, the spine can give in and you won't walk again. That's the reality of spine injuries resulting from years of exerting stress on the spine from the pulling/pushing/lifting activities. Yes, you may arm-reach that 212 or 210 minimum even with a height of below 160 because you are on tip toes, or you have long hands, BUT what still carries that stress is not your tip toes nor your long hands, BUT the spine! A MINIMUM height requirement mitigates our vulnerability to spine related injuries and gives us a natural advantage in carrying out our tasks as cabin crew. Aviation is regarded safe today because every time an incident or accident happened in the past, the following investigations always closed off with recommendations to prevent future occurrences; in the same way, this height criterion has been established because crew before you have encountered severe challenges, making it safer for the new generation crew. Why play the hero again?

I always advise staff that Aviation means the world to me, it's all I've lived for and ever done, since joining the industry as a teenager, BUT not a single day would I trade my love for the industry to compromise my health because I will NOT respect set criteria... Look after yourselves while chasing your dreams - you will still need to be 50,60,80 one day and healthy. All the best to everyone.
profile image
Jennievu
Thank you for your replying ?? Yeah I totally agree with you. It's not fair for those who apply after 2015 :( Because we can reach up to even more than 212 cm but we may be sent home straight away if we just got around 2-3 cm left to reach 160cm ?? You still appy and give a try again this year? Hope the best will come to us!
profile image
Daria
I was at the AD in Lebanon yesterday. It was a reach test for me first, then they just asked how tall I am (168 cm) when I was standing near the height poster. I know that some people did the reach test twice because they failed or nearly failed the first try.
profile image
Lavi1996
Hi burcc, I read your schedule so if you attend the open day, you make it to the next day you will only have an Assestment and have to return for the Final Interview?
profile image
Daria
Yes, that’s right. The assessment is on the next day. You can choose the day for your final interview. In Beirut there is a huge number of those who passed, so the recruiters interview around 10 people every day for a whole week.

Other discussions going on within Middle East Airlines Forum

Inflight Chef Etihad, Turkish...
6  1.11k 2 months ago
6 1.11k 2 months ago by sayeed shazz
Emirates Qualifications Query
4  2.25k 2 years ago
4 2.25k 2 years ago by david kane
Emirates app - complete in one...
7  1.83k 1 year ago
7 1.83k 1 year ago by hoai88
Qatar Amiri flight is hiring f...
8  8.21k 1 year ago
8 8.21k 1 year ago by su xeko
Emirates mental health medical...
8  2.91k 1 month ago
8 2.91k 1 month ago by anniesteuber

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

British Airways Specific to British Airways
40  6k 8 months ago
40 6k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
Virgin Atlantic Specific to Virgin Atlantic!
162  634.37k 1 year ago
162 634.37k 1 year ago by Lisa Harle
Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
266  595.17k 9 months ago
266 595.17k 9 months ago by KL17
Qantas UK Forum For those working at Qantas UK
31  372.65k 1 year ago
31 372.65k 1 year ago by Charles Carter
FLYBE News and Views from those at Flybe
27  193.78k 3 years ago
27 193.78k 3 years ago by juankax