profile image
Cabincrew2020
Emirates 2019 unfair recruitment
profile image
Cabincrew2020
Hey everyone ,

I just decided to open this topic after speaking with a lot of people that are waiting for the outcome of their final interview with Emirates .
Is it normal that the waiting time for girls is usually 2/3 weeks after the final interview while the waiting time for guys is around 8/9 weeks ?
Is it also normal/fair that last week there was a batch with 70 girls and only 7 guys ?!

I honestly don’t understand how they have written in their website they have a policy of equality when we can clearly see that they employ a higher amount of girls than boys . Also Emirates comes to Europe a lot to recruit but 70% of their crew are females and 30% males , shouldn’t something be done ? Because I can imagine that if this happened with Ryanair , easyjet , BA or any other European airline , there would be legal action against them but since it’s a Middle East airline , nothing is done ?

I just want to hear some opinions and see what other people think about this ..
profile image
IrishCrew93
It is very unfair! Are you waiting for an answer? What’s your timeline?
profile image
mtl_traveler
The Middle East is very different from the rest of the world. The UAE does not have human rights regulation and Emirates is essentially owned by the government. The issue extends far beyond skewed gender ratios, and if you want to pursue working for EK you need to be OK with it. I left approximately 5 years ago.

- A fellow crew was having some minor medical issues. Her manager called her into the office and pulled out the friend's medical record from the EK clinic. The manager started grilling the friend about the things she told the doctor. Is that fair?

- At my graduation, I weighed 50kg (same weight as when I joined/got fitted for uniform) and the grooming inspector told me my ass looked "huge" in my skirt and I should go buy a new one. Is that fair?

- On a flight a man raised his hand to hit me because I asked him to put on his seatbelt for landing. I told the senior on the flight and he said, "well he didn't actually hit you so I don't think I'm going to write a report" Is that fair?

If the hiring process enrages you, you will not last in Dubai.
profile image
Cabin Crew Consultant
I have to say, from experience I agree with the above. The work culture is very different and there is a lot of 'unfairness' and this won't change - this is relevant to all airlines in the Middle East, not just EK. It is well worth researching and reading up on the cabin crew experience to get a picture of what its really like. Saying that, I love working in this region and you do have to understand 'the way it is' and adapt to it....
profile image
Ms-9898
Whether it's fair or not is something you decide upon.
I have watched YouTube videos of Emirates crew saying that there is a maximum number of male crew in every flight, so obviously they limit the amount of guys being recruited as they require less of them on each flight.
Where the policy came from is unknown but that's how they operate whether you like it or not.
I'm not sure about Etihad or Qatar but I'm certain about Emirates.
profile image
jknox
Don’t forget you are talking about the airline where a member of crew jumped from an open aircraft door to commit suicide, and after she had done so, they closed the door and departed on time.
They don’t care about you now, and don’t care about you when you get there.

Other discussions going on within Middle East Airlines Forum

Inflight Chef Etihad, Turkish...
7  1.12k 1 week ago
7 1.12k 1 week ago by Jordan Walker
Emirates Qualifications Query
4  2.25k 2 years ago
4 2.25k 2 years ago by david kane
Emirates app - complete in one...
7  1.83k 1 year ago
7 1.83k 1 year ago by hoai88
Qatar Amiri flight is hiring f...
8  8.23k 1 year ago
8 8.23k 1 year ago by su xeko
Emirates mental health medical...
8  2.91k 1 month ago
8 2.91k 1 month ago by anniesteuber

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

Thomson Airways Thomson Airways including First Choice
93  408.53k 1 year ago
93 408.53k 1 year ago by David_Hume
Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
266  595.29k 9 months ago
266 595.29k 9 months ago by KL17
British Airways Specific to British Airways
40  6k 8 months ago
40 6k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
Virgin Atlantic Specific to Virgin Atlantic!
162  634.44k 1 year ago
162 634.44k 1 year ago by Lisa Harle
Qantas UK Forum For those working at Qantas UK
31  372.68k 1 year ago
31 372.68k 1 year ago by Charles Carter