profile image
lozza10
EK vs QR?
profile image
lozza10
Hi guys!

Apologies in advance for this post, I'm not trying to stir up a debate at all.

I've been invited to an Emirates Assessment Day in Sydney for this weekend. But I also recently applied for an Assessment Day (actual AD and not an OD) with Qatar.

I'm just in the application phase and I'm not *assuming* that I have got either job.

But I want to ask, is one of them really better than the other?

I am aware that QR is a little stricter and Doha is a bit more of a conservative city (changing, though). But in saying that, it is a growing airline and it flies to more and more places every year. It delivers a great economy and business product.

Or does it really not matter that much? I'm not trying to stir up a debate at all, I'm just asking if one is particularly better than the other/ things I might not already know.

Thank you in advance .
profile image
Desert_Hostie
The city does influence the job a lot, Doha is much quieter and more conservative, Dubai is busier and has more to do, more night life etc. It depends what sort of lifestyle you want.

EK is pretty hard work right now roster wise, however they don't have the curfews and the rules are less strict than QR. I'm assuming you are Aussie, a lot of Australians struggle with the QR rules because they are very strict. Eg 12 hours in accommodation before pickup even on off days, must wear uniform hat at all times etc etc.... EK has their own rules but not as strict. Eg your crew friends can stay all night at your apartment, you can have opposite gender visitors until 1am, etc etc

Route network of EK is bigger, but that also means more ULR flights.

Depends what you are looking for I suppose. Some people are perfectly happy at QR, others hate it. Same with EK I guess.
profile image
Daria
Hello!

First of all, congratulations on having been invited!

My personal preference is EK. I feel that living in Dubai and working for Emirates will give me more freedom and I will be able to really enjoy the process. I should admit though that I may be subjective since I've been dreaming about Emirates for many years already.

I got accepted by Qatar and had my DOJ in December. Well, should have joined. I changed my plans a few days before the DOJ and decided to stay at home. For me, all those strict rules were too much. I have read my contract and found something really strange. Not that I'm that type of person who bears with no rules. I like it when a company has strong corporative standards. However, I respect myself and want to have enough freedom without fear of being fired any second.

I don't want to speak openly about the details, but if you want, you can always DM me and I'll answer all your questions.
profile image
neronemesis
I can't say if you did the right thing or wrong. But in my opinion, you should've accepted the offer just for the time being, with that said, I completely agree with you about the rules and how strict the company is, especially with females.

Answering OP's question. EK is and will always be a better option. Its much more secure, and you might have a chance of actually getting promoted, whereas in QR, it'll completely depend on.......well....lets just say...a lot of other factors
profile image
Daria
You know, I was just scared that If I accepted the offer, I wouldn't have a chance to get employed by Emirates later. All those rumours that EK doesn't hire from QR...

I also felt more and more depressed the closer to the DOJ it was. I felt like this country and airline weren't for me.Probably it was just a silly thought deep inside me, but still it was very difficult.
profile image
wannabehighinthesky
That’s why everyone should do research on every airline they want to apply, you passed every stage, received a DOJ but in the end you just took someone else’s place who’s dream it was to work for QR.
Don’t get me wrong, I really support your desicion and it was much to let them know before you even come to Doha and then wish to come back home.
My point is just that we all need to do our reasearch before applying for any airline.
I wish you luck with EK and I hope you will make it
profile image
melimeli
I agree QR are very strict company to work for but you have to consider the fact their fleet is very diverse. QR flies "smaller" planes too. (like A320,321 ect.) That means you will take care for less passengers during the flight which is always nice :D
They can afford flying empty planes. For example they fly A320 to my contry and the flights are never full. I don't think that's the case with EK as they fly only A380 and B777...
From this point of view QR is better
profile image
Daria
Oh, believe me, I did my research more than well before the AD. Why I attended then? I wanted to experience a real AD, not just read about it. I wanted to see how I will do. I never expected that I’d get an offer. Before the AD I thought that I wouldn’t agree anyway but then people around me started pushing me and saying that it was a chance no one should miss. Yet in the end I chose my path.

I understand that somebody would want to take my place but it happens all the time. Somebody may be attending an Emirates AD and won’t accept the job later when I’d give everything for it. This is life
profile image
EllaVanse
I wonder how many people here who say 'it is my dream' are the ones who leave after not even a year because they didn't bother researching the company properly.
profile image
emma9266
Hi

I think you answered that question yourself. If you feel the way you do about QR then maybe should go for it.

i have friends who have worked for both EK and QR. Those from QR recommend it, but EK is a bit of a mixed bag. As long as you know what to expect from either airline, choose the one you feel you want to stand behind more. But I definitely would advise you to go to both AD's, and then make a decision you feel more strongly about.

Good luck =)

Other discussions going on within Middle East Airlines Forum

Inflight Chef Etihad, Turkish...
7  1.12k 1 week ago
7 1.12k 1 week ago by Jordan Walker
Emirates Qualifications Query
4  2.25k 2 years ago
4 2.25k 2 years ago by david kane
Emirates app - complete in one...
7  1.83k 1 year ago
7 1.83k 1 year ago by hoai88
Qatar Amiri flight is hiring f...
8  8.23k 1 year ago
8 8.23k 1 year ago by su xeko
Emirates mental health medical...
8  2.91k 2 months ago
8 2.91k 2 months ago by anniesteuber

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

British Airways Specific to British Airways
40  6k 9 months ago
40 6k 9 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
FLYBE News and Views from those at Flybe
27  193.81k 3 years ago
27 193.81k 3 years ago by juankax
Regional Airline Operators For those who are operating regional services
10  67.49k 4 years ago
10 67.49k 4 years ago by user16937
Virgin Atlantic Specific to Virgin Atlantic!
162  634.47k 1 year ago
162 634.47k 1 year ago by Lisa Harle
Easyjet Forum dedicated to Easy world..!
266  595.35k 9 months ago
266 595.35k 9 months ago by KL17