profile image
MYT01
CSM's LHR
profile image
Sakura
The introduction of the A380 has tipped a few people over the edge, for others its just a case of the job has changed quite a bit since they started. The preferred exit for most people is via secondments, same money less hassle.
profile image
BackToTheSky!
Thank you Sakura! That's all I wanted to know! I appreciate your time.
profile image
Sakura
You're welcome I do know someone who is leaving as they are sick of all the "bullsh*t, waflle, queries/complaints" which flows into her inbox everyday. She had to deal with that much sickness in her team that she's now a qualified doctor
profile image
suara
A qualified doctor OMG!
Thank you all for your answers!
profile image
suara
Originally posted by @Sakura
The introduction of the A380 has tipped a few people over the edge

Why this has tipped people over the edge?
Thank you!
profile image
Sakura
If you are on the A380, the bidding process has become pointless as you just get rostered LAX three times a month with a KWI, MIA or LAS thrown in for good measure. This will change over time as more A380's come online but its going to take a very long time. The B777 operates the more popular routes, it would have been better if you could have dropped the B747 licence instead of the B777 but obviously operationally this isn't possible. There are a lot of unhappy people on the A380, managing/motivating them is a challenge to say the least. Some crew are that fed up of LAX that they now hire a car on arrival and drive to Vegas to spend their time off there I forgot to add that at the next route swap meeting in February they are planning to bring more B747 routes over to MF to give the A380 crews a bit more variety which should go some way to cheering people up.
profile image
Little minx
I just think that the CSM job is very tiring and hard work and for not a very high salary compared to other jobs in the UK with the demands it has.

When I say it is a high turnover, a lot are moving into other grade 3 management jobs within BA as well as some who are just moving on.

I don't envy the CSM role, I think that it is a mistake for these people to have to manage crew teams as well as being an onboard manager. I think it must be very hard to turn off from work on their days off as they are the first port of call for any of their team members, they do all the managing, development, sickness, firing, hiring, training etc. etc. They are constantly working with young unexperienced crew and that is hard. Taking out a flight with 21 other crew who are generally all in their early 20s is not easy either because young people all together can be quite boisterous and it must be very hard to keep everyone working as a big team.
profile image
BackToTheSky!
Thanks for the useful information Little Minx and Sakura! Much appreciated!!
profile image
conradscan
Hi All,

I've also been successful and will commence training on 6th March. Will also be looking for somewhere to stay for training, and potentially up to 6 months after then.

Any suggestions or recommendations would really help,

conradscan.
profile image
suara
Originally posted by @BackToTheSky!
Thanks for the useful information Little Minx and Sakura! Much appreciated!!

Yes! Thank you so much! This inside information was very clarifying about the role dimensions. I was a little confused when reading the job description, as no other airline I know or have worked for does it this way.

Other discussions going on within British Airways

Uniform
69  113.93k 8 months ago
69 113.93k 8 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
British Airways - Training Dat... I received confirmation on 17th February that I ha...
0  1.32k -
0 1.32k -
General Info and questions abo...
3.12k  1k 4 years ago
3.12k 1k 4 years ago by Flying_Nurse
Accomodation, Specific to BA
1.35k  388.62k 2 years ago
1.35k 388.62k 2 years ago by Dolly1988
Assessments, interviews & star...
11.31k  2k 2 years ago
11.31k 2k 2 years ago by DavyP1972

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

Thomson Airways Thomson Airways including First Choice
93  408.26k 1 year ago
93 408.26k 1 year ago by David_Hume
Virgin Atlantic Specific to Virgin Atlantic!
162  634.13k 1 year ago
162 634.13k 1 year ago by Lisa Harle
Qantas UK Forum For those working at Qantas UK
31  372.52k 1 year ago
31 372.52k 1 year ago by Charles Carter
Middle East Airlines Forum Emirates, Gulf, Etihad, Qatar.......
718  4k 1 month ago
718 4k 1 month ago by anniesteuber
Jet2 All posts relating to Jet2
64  248.53k 10 months ago
64 248.53k 10 months ago by Andrew E. Briscoe