profile image
avfreak
Career change, is it possible now?
profile image
avfreak
Hello everyone, I am currently working as a team leader/supervisor in healthcare of elderly residents, especially with dementia. I manage a small team of health care support workers.

I am 31 and wondering would my previous experience and my age be a problem? in 2008 I worked for Ryanair as cabin crew for 1 year but I left because back then I wasn´t getting enough hours and the pay wasn´t so liveable.

I am looking to find out when the airlines hire for bases like GLA/PIK/EDI?

I´m fluent in Spanish and have a lot of customer service experience. Did some translating and teaching in Spain. Though despite all, I REALLY long to return to work in aviation.

I had seen that World Duty Free and the Airport Security are looking for people but it all seems to be seasonal?? I don't know if there is a chance of being kept on permanently but I need a permanent position.

Thanks again.
profile image
Bumblebee1976
HI my lovely
Don't you worry about your age. I'm 41 and I'm trying to get back to cabin crew now the kids have gone off to high school. I had been offered a job with Monarch before they collapsed and I'm soon to be attending an AD with Virgin so age is not something you need to worry about.

Your experience is perfect for airline as you have experience dealing with people and your languages

The difficult part will be finding a permanent contract as most airlines offer seasonal or 6 month contract but that's the risk you have to take. A lot of airlines have already been doing their recruitment haul for 2018 so just keep your eyes peeled incase they suddenly open them up again.

Good luck x
profile image
lisiloo
I am in the same position as you. At 31, I thought perhaps it was too late for me to make a career change but I've got as far as the AD stage. Age is nothing but a number! I think it's probably something that is on our side. At the risk of sounding 'ageist' we have more 'life experience' than someone who might be 18 years old, more years customer service experience, if you have indeed come from that field and I do believe that with age, comes wisdom. Lol.

Best of luck lovely.
profile image
Cabin Crew Consultant
Give it a try! So many cabin crew start later in their 20s, 30s and even 40s as a total career change. The more experience you have - the better! Many crew find the lifestyle change very attractive and often stay in the industry for years - if they find its suits them. It's probable that Ryanair wasn't right for you but a flying career might be, so do look out for recruitment now and early 2018 as this is when the seasonal recruitment starts - however some of these positions may lead on to permanent contracts or possible extension to winter contracts. Once you are flying (even if it is a temporary contract) you can still apply for permanent positions - why not try the big airlines in the UK - you could still possibly commute from EDI/GLA...
profile image
avfreak
Thank you very much ladies. I suppose my life experiences and job roles will help as I am working in a supervisory position. I am keeping my eyes open but I wonder when Easyjet will recruit for GLA?

I saw that Norwegian are looking for crew for EDI but I am 50-60 minutes by car (non peak times).
profile image
lisiloo
avfreak,

If I were you I'd apply for the Easy Jet position at EDI. If anything, the assessment day can provide some good practice for any position that comes up at GLA :)
profile image
avfreak
Originally posted by @lisiloo
avfreak,

If I were you I'd apply for the Easy Jet position at EDI. If anything, the assessment day can provide some good practice for any position that comes up at GLA :)

I will definitely do that thanks Lisiloo. I think I have missed the intake though? Do you think they´ll be looking this year?

According to google maps, my car journey would take 50 minutes to EDI.

Thanks again.
profile image
avfreak
Originally posted by @lisiloo
avfreak,

I will definitely do that thanks Lisiloo. I think I have missed the intake though? Do you think they´ll be looking this year?

According to google maps, my car journey would take 50 minutes to EDI.

Thanks again.
profile image
LuLuJ
APPLY!!! I am 31 and have just been offered a job with VA with no previous flying/aviation experience. I currently work in Law and I am also a qualified teacher so a really varied work background!! I have always wanted to work as Cabin Crew and just decided to give it a really good go!

I believe that it is your skill set and personality which determine your success - age and specific experience aren't an issue. Go for it and lots of luck to you!!
profile image
avfreak
Originally posted by @LuLuJ
APPLY!!! I am 31 and have just been offered a job with VA with no previous flying/aviation experience. I currently work in Law and I am also a qualified teacher so a really varied work background!! I have always wanted to work as Cabin Crew and just decided to give it a really good go!

I believe that it is your skill set and personality which determine your success - age and specific experience aren't an issue. Go for it and lots of luck to you!!

Hello, thank you! That is very encouraging. We have different skill sets. I am also fluent in Spanish, I spent time teaching in Spain too. They say another language is a plus. I just hope the nerve don´t get the better of me!

My plan is to keep to bank on the NHS during the winter months if the position is seasonal until something permanent comes up.

Do you think living 50 minutes from EDI would be a problem for SBY?

Other discussions going on within Wannabe Cabin Crew

How Hard is it to Regularly Se... So, I'm wanting to be a flight attendant. One thin...
0  80 -
0 80 -
Cabin crew Hello im 20 years old . i want be a cabin crew but...
3  386 1 year ago
3 386 1 year ago by Sarah McMillan
Wizzair training in Lviv, 13.0... Hi guys,Is there anybody here who is participating...
0  657 -
0 657 -
Tattoo Cover Up
4  1.39k 6 years ago
4 1.39k 6 years ago by PL1994
5 6.22k 1 year ago by Sarah McMillan

Other topics for Cabin Crew

Interviews Tell us your experiences!
71  986.38k 4 months ago
71 986.38k 4 months ago by Rachid Anssari
Current Cabin Crew Jobs For all announcements relating to cabin crew jobs
126  958.68k 2 months ago
126 958.68k 2 months ago by Emad Omda
Cabin Crew Advice Here to answer all your questions, everything cabi...
5  2.12k 1 year ago
5 2.12k 1 year ago by anna jackson
Qatar Airways status QR status change
4  3.78k 6 months ago
4 3.78k 6 months ago by Taira
BA Cabin Crew LGW Training date for LGW
3  807 -
3 807 -