- Emirates assessment day Cairo?
- Double room - Heathrow

Can I apply if I have an ancestry visa?

Author
  Topic Started By:  megs99    On:  Tue 15th August, 2017 at 23:18
megs99
#2  Can I apply if I have an ancestry visa?  Posted 15/08/2017 at 23:18
Hi,

Is there anyone working for B.A mixed fleet on an ancestry visa?

I sent a mail to B.A recruitment a few months ago to ask if an ancestry visa would be acceptable and they said yes. I've applied for mixed fleet and I have an assessment day in two weeks but in my list of documents to bring it says I need indefinite leave to remain in the U.K to work as crew. My residency card has 5 years on it and I can only get my indefinite leave to remain after 5 years.
Are they going to refuse me?
Are there any other people working for B.A who are not British or European citizens? Or any other South Africans? I'd appreciate some advice on what to do!
         Jump to Top
flyingninga
United Kingdom
#3  Re: Can I apply if I have an ancestry visa?  Posted 28/06/2018 at 20:42
In reply to post #2...
Hi, I know this is a late post but I'm wondering if you ever got an answer to your question?
I'm also on an ancestry visa (australian) and have an assessment day with BA in 2 weeks! Wondering if after the 5 years, I would even be able to get ILR or citizenship because isn't there a rule about can't be out of the country for more than a certain amount of days every year...?
Thanks!
Lauren
         Jump to Top
samweiss
Poland
#4  Re: Can I apply if I have an ancestry visa?  Posted 29/06/2018 at 08:36
In reply to post #3...
you do need to be able to stay there indefinitely and there is indeed a rule about being out of country for I think not more than two weeks at a time. More importantly, though (not sure if it's actually more important but it feels like that from my perspective) you need to have a free entry to all european countries which can only be achieved by having a european passport
         Jump to Top
flyingninga
United Kingdom
#5  Re: Can I apply if I have an ancestry visa?  Posted 05/07/2018 at 10:00
In reply to post #2...
I've checked and we can't be out of the UK for more than 180 days (approx 6 months) in any 12 month period throughout the 5 years to get ILR at the end...
Not sure how this works then as they clearly do hire ancestry visa applicants (so do all the other UK based airlines).. perhaps you are exempt from this rule as the immigration is different if you are cabin crew or something so the time doesn't count towards this...
         Jump to Top
flyingninga
United Kingdom
#6  Re: Can I apply if I have an ancestry visa?  Posted 05/07/2018 at 10:02
In reply to post #4...
It's certainly not as little as two weeks! It's actually 6 months over each year. And I do have free entry to all european countries - so do all commonwealth and US citizens.The will change after brexit but it will for british citizens as well.
As you work for them, have you ever met someone employed on an ancestry visa?
         Jump to Top