profile image
Welshykim94
Cabin crew with children.
profile image
Welshykim94
Hiya all, new to this forum just after a few answers to any of these questions ????.

So I have been thinking of applying for the brs cabin crew with tui.
I currently work in retail with them and love it but have always wanted to do cabin crew.
Anyway, those with young children how have you found it doing such a role? Work life balance etc? I'm fine with working Christmas day etc as I've had to in previous roles before, I just mean day to day etc.
Are you able to just request short haul destinations?
I have a supportive family have told me to go for it, But I would like to know my options before i commit.

T.i.a
X
profile image
A54Y
Hi,

If you are successful you will be initially be offered a seasonal (temporary) contract for the summer. This can be followed by several more seasonal summer contracts before a permanent part year contract will be offered.

In your situation, with experience in retail you will probably be able to secure winter employment in the shop so you don't really have anything to loose.

Having children can be stressful as there will be very early (4AM) starts, late finishes and even night flights. An established support network is essential, be it parents, child minder, partner etc.

Your monthly roster is issued on the 15th of the month so you have a minimum of 2 weeks to make child care arrangements.

Initial or rejoining crew tend to fly short or mid-haul only with occasional night stops in Cape Verde so you will normally be back home within a day or on the day.

If you have the cabin crew itch, get your application in. If you don't like it or it doesn't suit you, there is always the retail option after your first season.

Good Luck
profile image
alzywalzywoo89
Hiya. I have 2 children ages 5 &7. I did my first summer in 16. My advice would be go for it! You’d be surprised at the amount of crew that have young kids. I was working 9-5 mon - fri before and I was surprised at how much more time I got with them. As already said you’d only be doing short haul or at most a Cape Verde night stop to begin with. Roster swaps are permitted within base, so if you struggle on a certain day you can always see if anyone can help you out and take the flight for you. That said I never once needed to because I found myself home much more than I thought. If I was flying my mum and husband sorted the school runs etc between them, so a supportive family is key.
I did find it hard doing a late, landing at 2am then being up with the kids at 7 etc but I just rested once they were at school and napped where I could!
I really would go for it! x
profile image
Lichy123
Hi there I also have a question my children are 11 and 7 and just wanted to find out on average how many days a week you approx fly a week? Weekends are great for me so if I struggled on a day shift maybe once a week would I be able to swap for a weekend. I really want to apply and currently work 3 days a week at present so would I see much difference ? I was just how difficult it would be juggling care between myself and my husband and if you were on a pre 06.30 flight would you generally be back for the school run , just interested to find out how other parents manage it ?
profile image
Lichy123
Hi there I also have a question my children are 11 and 7 and just wanted to find out on average how many days a week you approx fly a week? Weekends are great for me so if I struggled on a day shift maybe once a week would I be able to swap for a weekend. I really want to apply and currently work 3 days a week at present so would I see much difference ? I was just how difficult it would be juggling care between myself and my husband and if you were on a pre 06.30 flight would you generally be back for the school run , just interested to find out how other parents manage it ?

Other discussions going on within Thomson Airways

TUI Recruitment open
1  2.18k 4 years ago
1 2.18k 4 years ago by A54Y
Man AD
1  2.05k 5 years ago
1 2.05k 5 years ago by Becky_1234
Video Interview
7  3.01k 1 year ago
7 3.01k 1 year ago by Harry Williams
How to survive an assessment d...
54  104.31k 2 years ago
54 104.31k 2 years ago by southfloridalove
MAN - 4th March 2019 - Whatsap...
0  1.66k -
0 1.66k -

Other topics for Airline Specific Forums

Qantas UK Forum For those working at Qantas UK
31  372.99k 1 year ago
31 372.99k 1 year ago by Charles Carter
British Airways Specific to British Airways
40  6k 9 months ago
40 6k 9 months ago by Marky Mcdoe
Middle East Airlines Forum Emirates, Gulf, Etihad, Qatar.......
718  4k 2 weeks ago
718 4k 2 weeks ago by Jordan Walker
FLYBE News and Views from those at Flybe
27  193.9k 3 years ago
27 193.9k 3 years ago by juankax
Jet2 All posts relating to Jet2
64  249k 11 months ago
64 249k 11 months ago by Andrew E. Briscoe