- Emirates Video interview

BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  newgirl1    On:  Wed 25th May, 2011 at 09:24
newgirl1
#1  BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 25/05/2011 at 09:24
Hi ,

I am hoping I can get some advice from you guys as I am totally new to this industry and was up all night reading various blogs about BA mixed fleet which has left me a little confused and concerned. There seems to be a lot of negativity towards it?..

I have just been offered a position, which i am over the moon about .. and whilst the basic rate is a lot lower than I expected I have been told that you can make this up with your hourly allowance and various other bonuses.  Is this realistic? I come from a sales background and have always been promised bonuses that never materialise! :-(

It is a career change that I really want to take , and if it means struggling for the time i am doing training , I really dont mind as long as it will be worth it in the long run , i know it will never make me rich but in terms of opportunities and job satisfation also...

The general feeling I am also getting is that they are crazily overworked with no breaks in between flights?.. is this true?...I guess I am really eager to do it .. so for me.. the more flights the better...but i want to be able to perform!..

Lastly I have also been asked to attend assesement for Ethiad, which would you say is the better out of the two .. obviously relocation is necessary with the latter...

Thanks in advance for helping with a very confused and worried head!..

Jump to Top
virginatlas69
#2  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 25/05/2011 at 09:46
Hands down Etihad my friend, my best friend has found a second job because she hardly takes home 1000 pounds monthly
         Jump to Top
newgirl1
#3  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 25/05/2011 at 10:15
:-( ........... thanks ....
         Jump to Top
scarley
#4  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 26/05/2011 at 23:57

hey ive just got into mixed fleet myself and im waiting for my training start date, at the end of the day, no the money isnt amazing but how many cabin crew do BA employ? you must be able to live on it?! if there really is that many. Im not from london so i have to move from nottingham to LHR which is going to be a perticular burden for me but its going to be worth it.Smile
         Jump to Top
newgirl1
#5  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 28/05/2011 at 17:15

Thanks Scarley... Yes I guess you are right... enough people manage to live on it...hadnt really thought about it that way!. Thanks for the positivity!Smile  ... I am so excited to start!

Jump to Top
LSflyer
#6  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 05/06/2011 at 21:10
BA employ 12,500 crew. only 800 are on the contract you will be on. So 1,000's of crew dont live on the money you'd get. The money is crap... end of. Dont let anyone tell you different. BUT... take it for what it is, the chance to do a fabulous job, meet new people, have new experiences, travel the world a bit... then leave! get a real job! Good luck guys, hope u enjoy it.
         Jump to Top
newgirl1
#7  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 05/06/2011 at 23:38

Hi.. thanks..for the info

Yea I realise the wage is really low, I guess what mainly concerned me was being told the earning potential was 17-21k .. then actually finding out it was 11k... 17k I can live with ... 11k is going to cause me problems... so I was trying to establish how realistic the 17k is...

The main reason I am doing to the job are for exactly all the reasons you mentioned... Ive had a real job since I was 16 ...now 34 and bored of it.. i really want to do this job .. but also want to be able to make sure i can put a roof over my head!.
         Jump to Top
missmsimpson
#8  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 06/06/2011 at 00:13
Aw newgirl1, good luck with everything! I really wish you well :)
         Jump to Top
newgirl1
#9  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 06/06/2011 at 09:04

Thanks missmsimpson ... I am really looking forward to it , it is so different to what i am used to ! xx

Jump to Top
Panda_uk
#10  Re: BA Mixed Fleet....mixed reports..  Posted 05/07/2011 at 00:30
Hey Newgirl1 & Scarley I am due to attend the assessment centre next month. Really excited about it yet worried as there is many things to do on the day. Any tips and how your assessment day went? Thanks Guys!
         Jump to Top
Next >